gift ideas for 75 year old father-in-law's marriage

creamgogoJuly 25, 2006

what do you buy for a gift for an older couple's wedding. want it to be special, as it is my FIL. but I am stumped. thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

How about a gift certificate for something they would like to do...dinner in a fine restaurant, tickets to a play or movie along with it. If it's hard for the newlyweds to get out, offer to take them somewhere.

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 4:12PM
susan_in_nc

It is likely that they don't need "stuff". But, it is also likely that they would appreciate something to acknowledge the event. Hard spot! If they are still very active and get around by themselves it would be great to get tickets to a play or concert (just carefully select!). Dinner to a fine restaurant would also be a great gift. If they golf, a pass to a great course might fit the bill. If they don't get out and about very well, how about a visiting chef to prepare a special dinner at their own home?

I know some "young" 70's and some "old" 40's. So, you need to consider the activity level of the couple.

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 9:56AM
talley_sue_nyc

matching sterling-silver charms they can hang on their key rings?

Blueprint magazine had a great story on charms (like from a charm bracelet)--there are apparently thousands of really unusual ones. If they have a great story about how they met, or things they both like, you might be able to find something fun.

Some other small "token" item like that?

And, even though their households have been well-established, they might be able to use something new version of a useful thing (like a Dualit toaster, LOL), or fresh version of a beautiful thing (like a crystal vase).

Bookmark   July 27, 2006 at 5:57PM
sheilajoyce_gw

A beautifully framed photo of the bride or bride and groom in the hopes that he and she will put away any other pictures of a fomer spouse to help make the new husband or wife feel it is his or her home too. Or a gift certificate to Home Depot for the fixing up the new bride may want to do.

Bookmark   July 28, 2006 at 3:04PM
creamgogo

thanks to all!i think i've decided to do them all to some extent!

a

Bookmark   July 29, 2006 at 2:36PM
callmerae

www.heritagemakers.com/204274
create a storybook of how they met...

I just finished my wedding storybook...if you want to see what I did for it go to that site..click on browse product gallery...search and enter account id: 204274..it says keller wedding...I did how we met, things we enjoyed, the engagement, decorating/rehearsal and the wedding...but you can create a book on each of them in their childhood..story of how they met, what their fondest moments are etc...what a great thing to hand down through the generations later on!

Bookmark   August 1, 2006 at 1:30AM
gellchom

I love callmerae's idea. If you are not as talented as she seems to be (I certainly am not!) or don't have the necessary souvenirs or information, perhaps a beautiful photo album or picture frame for wedding photos. If they aren't planning on a photographer, then a portrait sitting would be a great gift.

If they are taking a honeymoon, maybe get them some new luggage, or something appropriate to the destination (sunglasses? ski mask? passport holder?).

Bookmark   August 2, 2006 at 5:23PM
talley_sue_nyc

I also thought, what about something beautiful for their new home--a really lovely clock, or something, that would be theirs together, and a nice addition to their decor? Clocks seem like something that wouldn't be too hard to get the style right.

Bookmark   August 8, 2006 at 11:52AM
bonelady

I recently went to the wedding of my 71 year old neighbor. Both the bride and groom had grown children and grandchildren and they present them with a framed portrait of all the children, spouses and grandchildren.

It was the hit of the wedding!

Bookmark   August 21, 2006 at 11:43AM
More Discussions
I'm a bridesmaid and the bride is angry with me. Help!
Recently, I told the bride I could not go on her bachlorette...
excyntric
His/her point of view
DH and I went to his niece's wedding last Sat. and...
scarlett2001
Exciting Proposal?
I think YES! This is my dear friend! I can't wait for...
Jessica1717
Wedding Poem
I need a poem from the mother of the bride to the mother...
LeAnn55
combined maid of honor/best man speech?
so I'm the maid of honor in my sisters wedding this...
becca1225
Sponsored Products
Kani Bronze Three-Light Bath Fixture with Ruby Matte Glass
$405.00 | Bellacor
Artifort | Extens 22-In. Three-Door Cabinets
YLiving.com
Turner Leather Loveseat - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Emerson TB301MAB Paradise Key - Medium Antique Brown - TB301MAB
$759.00 | Hayneedle
Mason Jar Spice Rack & Jar Set
$14.99 | zulily
Phil 18-Inch Creme Decorative Pillows, Set of 2
$53.95 | Bellacor
Serena & Lily Mercer Gift Set
Serena & Lily
25 Inch Top-Mount / Drop-In Stainless Steel Kitchen Island / Bar Sink - 18 Gauge
eModern Decor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™