Just Curious to Know How Many People............

jbkiddJuly 16, 2006

really enjoy going to a wedding, do most people feel obligated. When it is a family member that is one thing but lots of people get invited when they hardly even know the couple.

Same goes for "showers", people not only have to buy a wedding gift but also a shower gift. Everything is so expensive these days, by the time you buy new clothes for the wedding, maybe pay for a hotel, buy wedding gifts, shower gifts, you have to mortgage your house.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duckie

Generally speaking, I'll decline the invitation if I don't know the couple well. Of course there are weddings I go to where I don't really know either the bride or groom, but my husband knows one of them well.

I'm also the sort of person who doesn't feel the need to buy a new outfit to go to a wedding, though it is a fantastic excuse if I'm just looking for a reason to buy something new for myself. And my first consideration when buying any gift is my budget, then I start thinking about the recipient.

Bookmark   July 17, 2006 at 7:14AM
talley_sue_nyc

every shower I go to, I'm glad to go to. Even at the expense of buying two gifts. I've gotten better at declining shower invites.

Some weddings I've gone to, I wish I didn't have to. I know the bride and groom, but the wedding isn't going to be that fun--or doesn't turn out to be that fun.

In my case it's the large extended family that I hardly know, and I sit around making small talk w/ these ultra conventional people--perfectly nice, but really boring conversation. And the music nowadays isn't that enjoyable. Dancing to techno-pop just seems like work.

however, I also know, in the two weddings I'm thinking of, I have great, great affection of the bride and groom. It's not their fault that the family is so big and so boring. And everybody *else* loved the music. My being there was a way to convey my regard.

There are other weddings (and sometimes showers I don't attend but do send a gift to) where family politics distates that I attend. They're cousins, and though I don't consider them close, their parents would be insulted if we didn't show up.

Bookmark   July 17, 2006 at 4:17PM
Susan_in_NC

I do only go to the weddings that I want to. DH is very involved with young professionals, and is invited to many weddings. I generally shop for the department shower gift, and add a small something that is more personal to that. As for the weddings, I do enjoy them. I have attended everything from cake and punch receptions to the full blown 60K bash. I guess we are lucky that he works with people we like!

I must add, the year the "sunshine club" decided to assign seats at the Christmas dinner wasn't fun. I got up and moved to an overflow table where a very nice couple was sent, because the woman making the seating charts had "forgotten" them! The people at the company -- well, some are great, others are not so much -- we had barely said hello, when three other couples joined me saying "no one should feel excluded at a company event!"
Susan

Bookmark   July 18, 2006 at 8:27AM
Meghane

I hate showers, even my own! I'm just not into the whole getting together with the girls and playing stupid games thing. I'd rather just have a nice night out with ALL my friends and no gifts. Now that almost everyone I know is married, it's been nice to not have to do those things. But I guess that means soon it will be baby showers, which are worse. Groups of girls playing stupid games talking about giving birth- UGH!

I attend weddings that I want to attend. But as for people I barely know, I have no problem sending my regrets and then a nice card. Friends' weddings have been really fun lately, and most are not doing traditional showers, thankfully.

Bookmark   July 18, 2006 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Older Couple, First Marriage
I have some friends who will be getting married within...
suzieque
Wedding Poem
I need a poem from the mother of the bride to the mother...
LeAnn55
What is your opinion on 'Farewell Sparklers'?
Have you used, are you going to use, or do you know...
Lindsey7
Thinking of Eloping...
Life story, shortened. I am engaged to the best friend...
lauraeli_
Exciting Proposal?
I think YES! This is my dear friend! I can't wait for...
Jessica1717
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™