stepping stones

nicethymeJune 16, 2013

I taught a class yesterday on mosaic stepping stones, I taught the indirect method on mesh (to avoid having to lug in a bunch of concrete stones) so I needed to have a demo piece to show thinsetting it down and one to demo grouting.

I've never mosaiced stepping stones but hey, these are kinda cool AND those hand painted leaf shaped were something traded to me by Carol/ Flagtruck and I feel really good about using them in honor of her

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mfbpa

They are beautiful! And I LOVE a quickie project, instant gratification! Now I bet you want to make a bunch of them, how pretty a whole walkway would be!
Thanks for sharing....

mfbpa

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 2:35PM
silvamae

Pretty! So cool that you incorporated some of Carol's pieces.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 7:45PM
texaswild

How pretty are those?!!! I like it that you didn't cover the whole stepping stone on the butterfly. Lovely work. Good for you for teaching. Oh, and Carol w/be pleased w/your use of her tess. I still miss her - every time I go to New Boston for a country music show. The theatre is just a few blocks from her house. BTW - her friends split and sold the house. I haven't driven by because it's too sad.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 8:22AM
nicethyme

I wondered about her magnificent house and gardens just the other day.. I hope who ever bought it cherished that backsplash - I would be horrified to learn someone tore it out.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 8:40PM
amerique2

What kind of mesh are you using? Plastic or diamond? Then applying thinset to concrete stepping stones to adhere the mosaic? And, finally, grouting. How did you get the plain edge around the butterfly mosaic? Wish I could have taken your class!

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 9:51AM
amerique2

Should have kept on reading through the posts. Found Silvamae's link to mosaicing on mesh. So, that question is answered. Still would like to know about how to do the plain border around the butterfly, though.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 9:58AM
nicethyme

oooh edges are really easy peasy, when you grout take a portion and seal it up in a baggy and refrigerate it for later, grout and clean your mosaic as always, then use your reserved grout to go back around and mold it from the tesserae edge to the substrate surface, in the case of functional mosaics, you can even strengthen the grout a bit with the addition of weldbond or any other PVA glue (I do that to tables and my recent vase bottom)

You are literally sculpting the grout like clay, its important to work with it in a peanut butter consistency and no wetter so that you can manipulate it easily.

good luck

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
bees
did I share this here? Yggdrasil and the Divine Intoxicant...
nicethyme
some mushrooms done
Hi, Here's some mushrooms that I made and mosaic'd....
lyndalu
"Footprints in the Sand" Mosaic
Artwork of footprints in sand usually accompanies the...
segrieb
Outdoor Thermometer
Did this to go on our porch next to the kitchen door....
brokenbitmosaics
Sponsored Products
White Little Looster® Potty Training Step Stool
$24.99 | zulily
Colonial Mills Bristol Stair Tread - 8 x 28 in. - Set of 13 - WL00A008X028
$187.99 | Hayneedle
Beige Soap Dish and Toothbrush Holder Set
TheBathOutlet
24" Milforde Bamboo Vessel Sink Console Vanity
Signature Hardware
24" Art Deco Semi-Recessed Console Sink
Signature Hardware
The Standard Black Pagoda Cap 12-Inch Outdoor Pendant with Rectangle White Frost
$169.10 | Bellacor
Colonial Mills Outdoor Houndstooth Tweed Stair Tread - 8 x 28 in. - Set of 13 -
$265.99 | Hayneedle
Dr. Doormat Door Mats Peacock Blue 24 in. x 36 in. Antimicrobial Treated
$46.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™