exciting-good news!

becky_iaJune 10, 2011

EXCITING GOOD NEWS

I am so very please to have been asked to display mosaics in my very own exhibit! I can still hardly believe it�& pinching myself to be sure I am not dreaming.

A couple of weeks ago, I was approached by the local director of our city�s Carnegie Cultural Center (who hosts temporary exhibits focusing on the arts) and asked if I would be interesting in putting together a display of mosaics after hearing from someone in the community about what I am doing! I invited her to my studio (my basement!) to see what I was working on and once there she asked if I could come up with enough pieces to have my own exhibit.

So I have been scrambling the past two weeks, finishing up several projects and begging friends and family to loan pieces I have done in the past for a two-month display/show. I asked how many I would need and her reply was�the more the better. I came up with about 50 pieces and my husband and I trucked everything we could last Sunday evening to the center.

Yesterday I received a call from her asking me to stop in to see what she had finished so far�. Oh my goodness! I was ecstatic-it looks fabulous. She even has my name on the sign out front�in lights! (at night) It is a real exhibit with proper lighting and all the bells and whistles!

She has been fantastic to work with, going over each piece with me, being sure we had a name or title for each, what materials were used, and if the piece would be for sale. She took my picture in front of several pieces, is writing a news release for our local paper, sending invitations for an artist reception on July 10, and asked if I could come next week for a bus tour of 48 people from Davenport, Iowa, to answer questions they may have! I still can�t believe all of this.

She is also displaying some of my mosaic jewelry, putting together a display of tools and materials used and also using some of my autographed mosaic books. She asked me to drop off business cards and a PowerPoint presentation I created on how to mosaic items for the garden.

This is the most exciting thing I have ever had happen with my mosaics and I just had to share my good news with my online mosaic friends and support group! This is truly one of my Bucket List" things!

I hope to get some good pictures of the display and post them when everything is set up. Gosh darn, I am so excited I can hardly stand it!

becky_ia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

OHMYGOODNESS, BECKY - I know you must be walking on a cloud. Congratulations - take a deep bow. What an honor. I know it's a lot of hard work getting ready for a show, and don't envy you. Hope you do well.

As for myself, I've declined an invitation from our local art center to enter into the summer show. To me, all I can think about is the work involved. I was displaying at a local nursery, and it was so much work to take it all out a couple weeks ago, when I decided things had been there long enough w/no recent sales, that I said I'll NEVER again take anything outta this house to market or show. Again, I hope you make a big splash and get lots of business from your exhibit.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 5:40PM
loribee2

Wow, Becky that's awesome!! Congratulations!! I would LOVE to see some pictures of the exhibit. Let us seeee!!! And in the mean time, big high five! Have fun with it!

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 5:47PM
silvamae

Oh that is sooo exciting! What fabulous news! I am so happy for you, and would love to see pictures. I know how much work this kind of exhibition is. Wow, Becky, that is so awesome!

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 6:03PM
concretenprimroses

That's fabulous!
Congratulations!
Please be sure to post pictures. (lots of them) Sounds like the art director is wonderful and really appreciates your work.
Kathy

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 8:16PM
nanatricia

Congratulations! Way to go !!! I know how exciting that is .

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 10:52PM
rock_oak_deer

That's so great, looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 11:11PM
More Discussions
"Footprints in the Sand" Mosaic
Artwork of footprints in sand usually accompanies the...
segrieb
My last commission of 2014
A dear friend's sister commissioned me to make this...
silvamae
please help!!!!
hi! im trying to get into working with glass and i...
fpc3
glass pattern for a cabinet door
Does anyone have a good website or pattern book for...
maryb116
I have been making some mirrors...
I am enjoying looking at all of your mosaics and I...
angs_pool
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™