Bottle Cap Mosaic?

patty__emJune 24, 2010

I am so thrilled to have found this site.I took a few stained glass courses yrs ago and loved them. Just started getting inspired by this site and have alreay completed covering a gazing ball with pieces of stained glass, small tiles , shell and glass fish. I'll post pics soon!

Before I figure out a grout, my 9 yo dgtr and I want to make a shelf for our baker's rack that is on a covered screened porch. We have enough bottle caps to cover the shelf which is around 18 x 32 inches. Any sugestions on the type of base? Do I need to fill in the back of each bottle cap,or can I leave an air pocket? It will get humid, but not wet and I'll take it inside each winter.

Thanks!

Patty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

One of our members - TEXAS FERN - uses bottle caps in a beautiful way. She fills them w/colored glass etc. and pours that clear epoxy (or rats - can't think of the name of it) over them. She inspired me to use them also. I went to a local bar to get a huge bag of them, and I save my beer bottles and caps also. I put in half marbles w/black silicon and sink BBs into the silicon to surround the gem. An example of the way I've used them are in my gift album. The sides of the pet grave marker, I made for a friend, show the bottoms of bottles surrounded w/the bottle caps mentioned above. BTW - welcome to the forum.

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 3:53PM
wackyweeder

I would probly fill the back of the cap,for uniformity and so they wouldnt dent and for better adhesion. for waterproofness of a substrate cement board or wedi. even with humidity you will eventually have warping etc, but it will last a few years Id guess if you used marine plywood or something of that nature sealed well and brought in, kept in a covered area. You could also use some sort of board and skim coat it with concrete, then you wouldnt have to worry from what Ive been told, but there would be the weight issue.
Make sure whatever you use has no flex to it, it must be sturdy or your grout will pop off. I have a collection of colorful bottlecaps to use oneday. here is a pic of a very cool bottle cap mosaic.

Here is a link that might be useful: mosaic

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 3:14PM
texaswild

Oh, WACKY - I remember seeing that mosaic, and how much I admired it. Absolutely beautiful.

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 3:47PM
texaswild

Oh, WACKY - I remember seeing that mosaic, and how much I admired it. Absolutely beautiful.

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 3:48PM
granburyflowergirl

wow, that's really neat - but they don't look like bottle caps at all in the pic they look like those little glass marble bead things they put in flower vases. How do you get them to look like that?
(I just wandered here from the garden web where I normally hang out)

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 8:44AM
More Discussions
mosaicing within old picture frame
Someone somewhere posted details on how to do this...
povertylodge
Thrift Store Remake....
I thought it needed a little something extra.
brokenbitmosaics
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
Wonder Horse... getting started!
A couple weeks ago I introduced myself to you all and...
solstice98
Sponsored Products
Hastings - Silk 40 Wall-Hung or Above-Counter Basin & Drain - 53557.26
$521.25 | PlumbTile
Florence Knoll Style Armchair
IFN Modern
Alfresco Home Martini 27.5 in. Round Bistro Table - Cherry Pie - 26-9505
$119.00 | Hayneedle
Liberty Furniture Covington Place 5 Drawer Chest in Cognac Finish
Beyond Stores
Carnevale Rio Multi Bath Bar by Oggetti Luce
$590.00 | Lumens
Progress Lighting P6178-09Bw One-Light Flex Track System With White Black Patter
Progress Lighting
Antica Farmacista Bergamot Diffuser & Candle Set
$119.00 | FRONTGATE
Promenade Bar Stool in Red
$74.00 | LexMod
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™