Feasibility of using fiber-cement as window bucks?...

fixizinFebruary 22, 2010

... in a concrete-framed opening, as found in CBS/ICF/CIP construction? I'd really like to eliminate wood from the equation, entirely. Nothing between the aluminum frame and concrete sill but more concrete... and silicone caulk... or some anchoring epoxy, if need be.

IIRC, initially fiber cement offerings only came in siding form, basically 1/4" thick. But now I notice that HardiPlank and other F-C offerings now come in thicknesses up to 3/4", maybe more, so naturally, I went "Hmmmm..."...

I have no hands-on experience doing the total window tear-out and replace gig on a CBS structure, so I'm not clear if the softness of the wood is a useful property, or conversely if fiber-cement planking is too brittle, etc. Newer codes require anchoring the window frame THROUGH the bucks, and directly into the concrete anyway. (The bucks are still anchored independently, beforehand, so they still comprise a significant portion of the shear resistance.)

What say ye, window RKIs? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

You can use something like a PVC/resin board (aka azek) or have a local fabricator make you some steel bucks.

I am going to go the latter route if I build my ICF home.

Bookmark   February 25, 2010 at 7:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fixizin

Oh right, the various composite (Azek/TAMKO/etc.) boards... I had considered them at one point, but they seem to be geared towards outdoor decks, and thus all the sample sizes I saw were too LARGE, e.g. 1"X6".

Steel bucks might be problematic in the humid sub-tropics, and even stainless might experience dissimilar metals reactions with aluminum alloy frames. OTOH, the Tapcons and related anchors are steel, aren't they?... hmmm....

Might have to have some aluminum pieces fabricated for a related project, so I should get familiar with some Al fabricators anyway.

Anyway, good ideas, keep 'em coming! Gotta be something better than soft pine under there... UNLESS... the soft pine provides SOUND-DAMPING action?? Hmmm... do you have any experience with the steel bucks on ICF/concrete, w.r.t. sound transmission?

PS: Have some good friends in Vancouver, WA area who built large 2-story home w/ ARXX brand ICFs. Worked out well.

Bookmark   February 25, 2010 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
Any opinions on Hurd H3?
I know Hurd is not well-regarded here on GW but the...
song_ca
French Door Advice (looking for affordable alternative)
We are looking to replace a sliding door with a french...
state00
Marvin Integrity/Sherwin Williams
Hi Not sure if this has been posted before but this...
sheila512
Are Hurd Windows OK?
I've heard before of Marvin and Anderson windows, but...
kats
Okna vs. Simonton for bow window
Hi, I'm hoping someone can provide some insights with...
rirae
Sponsored Products
Pearl Blocks Rug 9' x 12' - CREAM
$4,659.00 | Horchow
Tan 96 x 50-Inch Grommet Blackout Curtain Panel Pair
$91.95 | Bellacor
Awntech MAUI 10 ft. Motorized Retractable Awning - MTL10-A
Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Lucia Window Panel
Serena & Lily
Majestic Cordless Christmas Wreath - 30" dia. Christmas Decor
$89.50 | FRONTGATE