Cheapest option for energy efficient impact windows (Florida)

Sleepy1105January 4, 2013

I am in the market for impact windows. How can I get the most energy efficiency for the least amount of money? I know argon filled (insulated) vinyl frame with a low e coating is the best, but I can't afford that. Tinting? Double-tinting? Low E coating? Any guidance that could be shared would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington

Low-e and argon windows are pretty much the standard these days and that option will likely cost the same as tinting (i.e. factory tinting).

Have you shopped windows yet? The biggest expense in most cases is going to be the impact requirement and installation. At that point, making sure the window is a low-e equip unit will only amount to a fractional upgrade.

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 8:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sleepy1105

I appreciate your response. We have had 3 companies come and give estimates, and it seems like I am getting a lot of different information. I had someone come out today for a second visit and he said the same thing you did. I thought I would be saving money by going with the tinting, but as it turns out the window company is going to start running a sale on the 17th for FREE low e coating. Can you believe my luck? Thanks again!

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
Opinions on Sunrise vinyl sliders?
I bit the bullet and went with Okna windows! Not biting...
happyallison
What size windows - 10' + Cathedral Ceiling
I like the look of the hearth room pictured below....
burbmomoftwo
Good quality French door style slider with blinds between the glass?
I'm in Texas. These would be replacement doors for...
texasgal47
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
Replace or Repair?
We are about to purchase a home outside Columbus, OH...
jackrh97
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™