Guest Lodging... How?

LeisuJune 7, 2004

My wedding is going to be on a River Boat type thing, rented out for just the wedding (it's not huge, just about for 100 people).

The close family and a few friends are coming up to cottages I rented on the Lake, and we are all going to stay near/with one another so that our families can meet and play together etc.

What I'm wondering about is the other family members who may drive up for the wedding, am I supposed to pre-book hotel rooms? I don't want them to fill up so that they can't find lodging.... does anybody have a suggestion for this??? TIA!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anita9

The typical way to do it is to call the hotels you are interested in and ask for a "wedding block," or a block of rooms that they will hold for your wedding guests, usually at a slightly reduced rate, until a certain date - for my hotels it was until two weeks prior to the wedding, but I'm guessing it varies depending on the market for hotel rooms in the area.

They shouldn't make you give a credit card number to book the rooms, since you won't want to pay for anything that doesn't get taken. But if they do ask for a cc number, be sure that you will be well within a cancellation policy so you won't get stuck paying for anything.

Then you can include a note in the invitations, save-the-dates, and/or a wedding website if you make one, with the phone number of the hotels, the code for the discount if they give you one, and the deadline for making reservations. Anyone who doesn't make their reservations by the deadline is on their own.

Call around to some different hotels and see what kind of rates you can get. Don't be afraid to negotiate for a better rate and/or better terms. I was suprised to get a MUCH better rate from one hotel than from a practically identical one across the street.

Usually it is a good idea to block rooms at two or three different places, so you can give high- and low-priced options. Although some hotels have lots of rooms at different price points.

Good luck.

Bookmark   June 7, 2004 at 12:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Leisu

Thanks so much!!!! That is exactly what I needed to know!

Bookmark   June 7, 2004 at 7:09PM
More Discussions
small wedding dilemma
My daughter and her fiancee have just gotten engaged...
Kathy Harrington
What wedding gifts (if any) did you get from parents/inlaws?
...And what wedding gift(s) if any did you give your...
jewelisfabulous
Great wedding ideas!
My son's wedding is finally over! It was wonderful!...
granny2ricky
combined maid of honor/best man speech?
so I'm the maid of honor in my sisters wedding this...
becca1225
Only one not invited to wedding
A couple at my church that I thought were my friends...
jashley
Sponsored Products
Studio Dining Side Chair in Black
$129.00 | LexMod
Teak Serving Table
Signature Hardware
Flex Pocket Smartphone Charger for Android
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Oscar 31-inch High With Black Finish Large Wall Lantern
Overstock.com
Strano Ceiling Lamp
$159.99 | Dot & Bo