Hurricane-rated Sliding Door sill problem

helenjoanJanuary 30, 2010

We are considering replacing the windows in our 24 year old South Florida vacation home with impact resistant glass windows compliant with current building code, largely because we are being strongly encouraged by our insurance company. We are facing a problem with the sliding glass doors that I have not seen mentioned in the forum. The code-compliant sliding doors all have a very deep "sill" - hope I am using the right term -which will be a real trip hazard as one goes in and out. We are trying to determine if there is a way of lowering the wall on which the window sits, so that the top of the sill will be even with the inside floor (instead of 2inches above it). Our inside floor is a good 1 foot above grade, so we are not concerned about water. Any other suggestions?? - thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
afsa

I have know idea what brand your using, but a good quality Lift-n-Slide door system should have a pretty shallow sill that would dam near be floor height. Even for the Impact requirements.

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 8:39AM
helenjoan

Our house is over 4 miles inland in Boca Raton, but, I am inclined to try to comply with the "Miami-Dade" requirement (which I believe are more stringent)so that our windows will be in compliance with any future changes in building code. Our insurance company is telling us that they want our doors and windows to meet current building code requirements (for wind). Are there different dp ratings required for different areas in Miami/Dade? Eo you know what dp rating is required for Boca Raton? Thank you both for your help.

Bookmark   February 8, 2010 at 3:42PM
fenestrationman

Looking at Florida's wind speed map, it appears that you are in the 140 mph wind zone. This would equate to a DP50 requirement in your area.

Bookmark   February 9, 2010 at 8:37AM
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

You would be well suited to see what minimum code is and far exceed that. Miami Dade code is pretty comprehensive in this case because of that regions affinity for disastrous storms.

I would not install a DP50 door alone unless you plan on have hurricane shutters installed afterwards.

While hurricane shutters are nice, the beauty of Impact windows/doors is that you are not relying on the shutters alone. Most people opt for impact windows/doors on vacation properties because they do not need to be there to close them as them would a shutter.

The combination of both would give you ultimate impact protection.

The Simonton Stormbreaker line is a nice option although I am not sure of their availability in doors.

Bookmark   February 9, 2010 at 11:35AM
More Discussions
Storm doors with hidden built-in screens?
I'm considering doing something "strange,"...
texasgal47
Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance
Wondering which is the better new construction vinyl...
16cassie
Any opinions on Hurd H3?
I know Hurd is not well-regarded here on GW but the...
song_ca
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
LittleHouseotPrairie
Air and Mulch Infiltration Through Andersen Windows
I moved into a new house Feb '05 in Blacksburg Virginia...
don_ball
Sponsored Products
Williams Credenza - Natural Natural
Joybird Furniture
Stufurhome 40" Juno Single Sink Vanity with Baltic Brown Granite Top
Modern Bathroom
Chrome Three-Light Bath Light with Faux Alabaster Glass
$53.90 | Bellacor
Door Knobs Clear Glass Door Knob Pair
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
Artcraft Lighting Classico Black Two-Light Wall Mount Light
$84.00 | LuxeDecor