Solatube vs Skylight

eeloverJanuary 26, 2012

For a roof that slants and faces north, which would give more light? a 24" solatube or similar tubular design or an actual skylight of similar size 20"x20"?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

Given the interior reflective surfaces on the Solatube, they tend to reflect and bring in more daylight.

Without really painting the skylight shaft in a reflective, gloss, white, the solatube should give you more light.

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 8:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
solabrite

I agree with the above comment. The nice thing about a Solatube is that you can angle the tube. So if it is possible to angle to the dome to a south facing roof line, you can capture better light. Solatubes bottom tube and top tube have 'angle adapters' which give you flexibility in where you place the tube. With skylights you are generally limited to straight up.

If you cannot angle the tube, another option may be to raise the dome up on the roof using a turret extension. Turrets extensions can go as high as is aesthetically pleasing. We have raised domes up as high as 8' feet on the roof. We do this to capture better light on exposures that limit the amount of light collected.

In closing, as the 'windowsonwashington' commented, the reflective material used by the Solatube and the dome technology should ensure more light than a traditonal skylight.

If you have any questions, you can email me at sales@solabrite.com or call 800-846-6621.

Best regards,
John @ Solabrite

Here is a link that might be useful: SolatubebySolabrite

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 12:17PM
More Discussions
Love my New Front Door, But It's Still Cold in Entryway
I have my new steel entry door installed with new sidelites....
sahmmy_gw
Storm doors with hidden built-in screens?
I'm considering doing something "strange,"...
texasgal47
Any opinions on Hurd H3?
I know Hurd is not well-regarded here on GW but the...
song_ca
Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance
Wondering which is the better new construction vinyl...
16cassie
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™