bridal bouquet preservation

drema_dianneMay 26, 2004

My daughter is getting married and I am trying to figure out who is a reputable person to save the bouquet? There are so many choices, and because I only have one chance to do this right, I don't want to pick the wrong one. Do any of you know someone who has done this? I am thinking of the freeze dried picture type idea.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blizlady

I would imagine you could ask whoever is doing your daughter's flowers for recommendations. But I found this site with different display ideas once the bouquet has been freeze dried. I think it's a great idea if costs are reasonable to preserve the bouquet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Preserving Wedding Bouquets

Bookmark   May 26, 2004 at 11:55PM
froggy05

IMO its better and cheaper to do a silk bouquet, this way the boquet can be saved in its entire 3D form, and you could preserve it in a clear plastic box. You know those type of thick boxes that they had for beanie babies at one point. My friend had her boquet sprayed wiht something and then she had put it into a box like this. She still ahs it in lher living room after three years of being married...
Just a thought, it might make your search a lot less stressful.

Bookmark   May 27, 2004 at 11:26AM
blizlady

I did notice how expensive it was to preserve the bouquet in those shadow box type frames. The cost of preserving can actually be more than the cost of the bouquet itself. I personally like silk flowers and nowadays they look so natural. But I realize that fresh flowers can be a real important aspect to a lot of brides. If preserving the whole bouquet becomes too expensive, maybe just having a couple of the flowers preserved, plus the bow or other embelishments. The rest of the petals can maybe be made into potpouri

Bookmark   May 27, 2004 at 6:51PM
sara_the_brit_z6_ct

If you do decide to preserve fresh flowers, such as by drying them, discuss with your florist what flowers are most suitable. I dried my stepdaughter's bouquet using silica gel, but she'd already selected her flowers before she decided she wanted to dry them later. Some flowers dry well - roses for example - and some are too fragile, and these were unsuccessful.

If you decide to do this yourself, bear in mind that the bouquet has to be taken apart, each flower dried individually, then wired and reassembled. It's a lot of work, hence the high prices charged.

On the other hand, her bridesmaid's flowers were a simple rose posy - these dried perfectly by hanging the posy upside down in a dry cool room.

All dried flowers will fade so discuss these with your florist.

Bookmark   June 1, 2004 at 2:06PM
drema_dianne

Thanks for the input! I appreciate the help.

Bookmark   June 2, 2004 at 9:38AM
msboo

Our bridal consultant recommended someone to us and we were more than pleased with the results. Since consultants have tons of contacts for all aspects of a wedding you should be able to find a good service for preserving your flowers. Even if you're NOT using a bridal service most would be more than glad to recommend someone and shouldn't mind if you go in and have a look around. A full service bridal consultant is your best bet, as they're usually set up to have invitations, accessories like ring pillows and guest books, etc. on display. Ours had 3 wedding cake sources with catalogs of what their cakes looked like----you could choose who you wanted according to price, etc. Same with photographers, reception sites and the list goes on. They all recommend each other---keeps them all in business for themselves come to think of it. Give it a try and good luck.

Bookmark   June 17, 2004 at 11:57PM
More Discussions
Shower for out of town bride
I am the mother of the bride. My daughter has moved...
tarpon
Exciting Proposal?
I think YES! This is my dear friend! I can't wait for...
Jessica1717
What to get for a wedding gift !!!
I have been invited to a wedding.The girl that is getting...
diana55
Great wedding ideas!
My son's wedding is finally over! It was wonderful!...
granny2ricky
What is your opinion on 'Farewell Sparklers'?
Have you used, are you going to use, or do you know...
Lindsey7
Sponsored Products
Room B | Counter Stool 1C
YLiving.com
Cathys Concepts #Cheers Pilsners - Set of 4 - 1122CH
$40.63 | Hayneedle
Bridal Veil Floral Arrangement
$339.00 | FRONTGATE
Orange Chevron Vintage Paper Straw - Set of 50
$7.99 | zulily
Echelon Chrome Five-Light Chandelier with Bridal Veil Shade
$550.00 | Bellacor