need ideas for sidelight windows

deconoviceJanuary 24, 2008

I have 2 sidelights next to my front door, both are about 6 ft tall by 8 in wide & are clear glass, starting at a few inches above the floor. I would like to cover them to add a little 'something' to my foyer but also because it drives me crazy that anyone walking in front of or up to the house can see directly in, all the way into my family room which is behind the foyer.

I was originally going to do the 'traditional' sidelight sheers that are sort of bunchy w/ the top & bottom rods, but then thought perhaps that was a dated look. I know some people do blinds, but we dont have blinds on any of our other downstairs windows (and I'm planning to get sheers for the 2 rooms that face the front eventually...can you tell I hate window treatments?).

Any creative ideas for covering sidelights stylishly?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texasredhead

Short of replacing the sidelights with opaque glass, I believe there is an opaque film available similar to having your car windows tinted. Believe you can find the material at one of the big box stores. Re curtains, slightly dated or people looking into your house?

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 5:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kendog2

I would replace the glass with glass blocks. If the size of the opening is right, it isn't a difficult project. Glass blocks give a beautiful, custom look and would solve the privacy problem without any window treatment.

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
Curtain Finials
These finials were purchased a number of years ago...
cw8626
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
Brand recommendation?
I would very much appreciate some recommendations on...
oakenacres
Contractor introduced me to yet another window, Vi Win Tech windows???
A building contractor we are using for a garage guesthouse...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™