How much are you, or did you spend on Host gifts?

newhomebuilderMay 2, 2009

We have 30 host to buy for. I am trying to keep the number at $12.00 per gift including simple wrapping, etc.. I have already ordered/picked up several items to give out at the 3 different parties that will be given for my daughter. We have items from monogrammed napkins, napkin holders, wine coolers w/wine and monogrammed stoppers, and Kamani wood appetizer trays from Hawaii.

Just curious what you have done for your party host and how much you have spent per gift?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweet_pea10

In the U.S. we don't usually have that many party hosts. Generally, a simple gift that fits the personality and tastes of each host is given, such as a plant, bottle of wine, etc.

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 3:16PM
gellchom

We have given parties for friends' kids, and here are some of the gifts we got (all I can remember right now). Often, the couple and both sets of parents give separate gifts. (A couple of times some of the guests even brought a little gift; that really surprised me!) Note that sometimes we were co-hosts, sometimes the only hosts.

4 linen cocktail napkins
serving tray
restaurant gift certificate (I think it was $50)
basket of fancy chocolates
fancy pie server
a set of little soy sauce dishes
silver kiddush cup
personalized notepads & pen & holder

I liked all of these a lot.

We haven't given a wedding yet, but when our kids were bar/bat mitzvah, some of our friends helped out with hospitality suite, welcome bags, putting people up, etc. I think we just made donations to their favorite charities in their honor. I might also have gotten a gift for the ones who really did a lot, but I don't recall what (it was long ago!). It might not have been anything, as we were all doing the same things for each other in those years; it seemed like every couple of weeks it was someone's turn. I don't recall us giving gifts back and forth.

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 4:42PM
newhomebuilder

Posted by sweet_pea10 (My Page) on Sun, May 3, 09 at 15:16

"In the U.S. we don't usually have that many party hosts. Generally, a simple gift that fits the personality and tastes of each host is given, such as a plant, bottle of wine, etc. "

sweet_pea10 - We also live in the U.S. and in our area, it is very common to have multiple parties given to the bride and groom. This one party has 15 couples giving the party. We have one shower given by 4 ladies, and one couples shower given by three couples. We also have the 3 relatives that will host the bridal brunch.

-----------------------------------------------------------

gellchom - The $50 gift certificate was very generous!

As host in the past, we have received:

Basket of mums
Silver coffee scoop (I use in my sugar canister and love it!)
Silver ice scoop
Monogrammed linen hand towels
Monogrammed soaps
Monogrammed napkins
Flowered bud vase
Candle snuffer
Set of paper products

Two other parties were given, but I cannot for the life of me remember what the hostess gifts were. They must not have been very memorable, or nothing was given - wish is fine. LOL

As you can see from the above list, I am stumped to give something new and different. The gifts came from the same group of friends, so I cannot copy the ideas (other than the napkins - which are always a welcomed gift - if you entertain a lot.)

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 5:32PM
gellchom

Well, I don't know why it has to be something "new and different," but I have a few suggestions. The first is something I like to give for a new house gift: a gift certificate to a site like "Switchhits.com" (there are others, too; I've just only ever used that one) where you can buy elegant or creative switchplate and outlet covers. It adds such a nice little extra touch to a room or hall, and it's a mini-extravagance (my favorite type of gift: a nicer version than you'd buy for yourself of something you need anyway). I usually don't like gift certificates, but you really have to let people pick out something like that for themselves. The people we've given them to said they had fun choosing and thought it was a good gift idea. I also think a really nice umbrella is a good gift. Do they play cards? You can get them monogrammed playing cards.

Yes, the $50 gift certificate was indeed generous. That was from the bride and groom themselves. On top of that, the pie server and the cocktail napkins were from her and his parents, respectively -- and it was times 3, because 3 couples hosted the party.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 4:23PM
newhomebuilder

I like the umbrella idea for the groomsmen. The groom has been trying to come up with something. Playing cards are another cute idea. Gift cards are nice, too!

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
Great wedding ideas!
My son's wedding is finally over! It was wonderful!...
granny2ricky
Wedding Poem
I need a poem from the mother of the bride to the mother...
LeAnn55
What to get for a wedding gift !!!
I have been invited to a wedding.The girl that is getting...
diana55
bottles of wine for outdoor wedding on lawn?
What do people think of the idea of offering bottles...
kitasei
Monetary wedding gift
What is an appropriate monetary amount to give for...
TerriJM
Sponsored Products
Abelard Cocktail Table
$999.00 | FRONTGATE
MOTI Furniture - Enchanted Queen Panel Bed - 40013001
Great Furniture Deal
Coupeville Chair - Set of 2
| Dot & Bo
Mamagreen | Twizt Dining Table
YLiving.com
Sea Isle Leather Sofa - TEAL
$4,899.00 | Horchow
Outdoor Lighting. LV45VRD Landscape Lighting Well Light Low Voltage (12V) Die Ca
$72.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™