Gift for (uncle) minister?

bcrawfo2May 22, 2006

My uncle is going to perform our ceremony. Obviously a tip isn't appropriate. Any thoughts for a gift?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
talley_sue_nyc

ooh that's hard. Sometimes you could give a donation to a minister's home congregation, or some other religious cause he feels strongly about. But w/ an uncle, I think I'd be wanting to give HIM something. Bcs it's more personal, what he's doing for us/you.

And, he got stuff like a great Bible, a cross for the wall, etc.

Could you give him an experience? Dinner somewhere; a workshop. Anything I can think of that would be really unique would also be really expensive.

Does he have any colleagues in his church organization that you could call and pick their brains?

The other idea is simply to get him something fine--I got my dad a new, really nice silver-plated pocketknife (bcs he always carries on; and I noticed that his was getting dull, right before the wedding).

Bookmark   May 22, 2006 at 12:48PM
gellchom

There is no need to try to choose something related to his being a clergyman (assuming he is one); in fact, I would avoid it. Like teachers don't need yet another apple-shaped desk ornament. I would just get him some nice personal gift that he would enjoy, the same as if you were getting him a nice birthday gift, or else a contribution to his favorite charity.

Bookmark   May 22, 2006 at 11:30PM
bcrawfo2

I'm still thinking. He's actually not clergy...he's just a normal guy that decided to become a minister. Doesn't preach...doesn't work in a church.
I guess I'll work with the nice gift idea.

Thanks

Bookmark   May 23, 2006 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Only one not invited to wedding
A couple at my church that I thought were my friends...
jashley
Wedding Gift For Parents
I want to give something special to my parents on their...
sachishah
bottles of wine for outdoor wedding on lawn?
What do people think of the idea of offering bottles...
kitasei
Thinking about not having a dinner
Hi, we are slowly making plans for our upcoming wedding,...
Chrissielou
What is your opinion on 'Farewell Sparklers'?
Have you used, are you going to use, or do you know...
Lindsey7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™