3D possible with Wedi?

jenelJune 7, 2008

Hi, all! I just got my first piece of Wedi board, and i'm very excited to try it out. My town, Georgetown, is the Poppy Capital of Texas, and every year we hold a Red Poppy Festival. I'd like to try creating a mosaic to enter into next year's poster contest, just for fun. (It helps me to have a specific goal to work towards.) I'll do the whole thing with stained glass. I thought it might be neat to cut the shapes of the poppies out of the Wedi and then mastic those shapes to another layer of Wedi. That would put the "pop" into "poppies." LOL For those of you more experienced with Wedi, what pitfalls do you see? Do you think the end result will be stable enough, or do you think the pieces might fall off in the future?

Thanks,

Jenel Looney

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nicethyme

I can't see a problem Jenel. You could easily fill and smooth the edges with thinset to make a seamless conversion from one layer to the next...

Please do share your work in progress with us, it sounds fabulous

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 10:08AM
texasfern

I have no idea, but it sounds like it would work.
I can't wait to see some pics.
I get to Georgetown every now and again, maybe I will see your "poster" next year!

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 5:26PM
mermaidmosaics

I would love to start a project with Wedi but still have many other things to finish before that.

I love all those poppies by Southwestern, we lived in Whitetail - Georgtown for many years . Should take this to the conversation side.

My HD was by our old house this past year and he said he couldn't believe how much it is getting built up..

I love the idea of a double wedi poppy!! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Please post pix of WIP

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 10:10PM
jenel

Thanks, everyone! I will definitely post pictures. It'll be a while, though, I think. I need to let the idea percolate a bit before I dive in. Can't let it go too long. I don't even know when they have the poster contest. LOL I'm very eager to get started, though.

For those of you who have been to Georgetown... Yes, it is a wonderful town, and it's growing like crazy. The population is right around 50,000 these days, and they're predicting 100,000 within 10 years or so.

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 11:13PM
Calamity_J

Here is a pic of backerboard(cementboard) that I made into stands, and did it with fiberglass mesh and mortar, it should work fine for wediboard I would think. Keep us posted!!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 1:08AM
More Discussions
bees
did I share this here? Yggdrasil and the Divine Intoxicant...
nicethyme
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
Clock
Finished recently
wackyweeder
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™