Newbie here with ?

soinspiredJune 8, 2009

I'm just a beginner at mosaic and have a quick question on doing a mosaic on a wood table. This wood table in an old pine round table with no paint. Should I prime the table first with just a basic primer before I start my project? Or, should I use something else? I have learned so much here and so appreciate your posts. Thanks for your comments.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

Not necessary to prime. Welcome to the forum. Show us pictures, please, of your WIP.

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 9:48AM
cathyscache

Welcome. Just start gluing. And yeah, we have have need to see!!! Love seeing everyones before and after pics......

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 11:25AM
katishooked

Welcome. Listen to the pro's. I do. They are correct. Pix Pix Pix please

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 6:49AM
soinspired

Thanks for your follow-ups! So many ideas but I know I want to do it in purples & pinks. I'll post pics when I get started. Wish me luck!

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 8:44AM
Calamity_J

LUCK LUCK LUCK!!!

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 10:47AM
emtnest

Is your table going to be used inside or outside? That makes a difference as to whether or not you need to put down something like backerboard... if outside use backerboard.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 1:05PM
platebreaker

I always prime porous substrates with water-based Kilz or Binz (don't use oil based or "water sealers") and sometimes use a 5 parts water to 1 part Weldbond mixture. I score the surface first and then prime. The reason for this being the porous wood will suck the moisture out of your thinset (if using) or grout - causing it to cure more quickly. If you don't want to prime first, I would suggest (after grouting) putting plastic wrap over your mosaic and misting it with water every few hours to slow down the cure time.

Hope this helps!
Jane

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 4:45PM
soinspired

Thanks for the continuing follow-ups! My table is wood and won't be used outside. (This round table is 52" in diameter and I bought it at a yard sale for only $30! Very solid and I think will be perfect.) I do have some water based latex primer I was thinking of using on the base of the table as I'm going to paint it white. I'll just go ahead and paint the top too. This would probably help to see my pencil lines of my design. I know exactly what I want to do, but haven't found the tiles yet. Thought I would do the priming and sketch my design and then determine how much tile to buy. So many ideas, I must stay focused! I just love this forum. Again thanks, and I visit you all every day for your knowledge and inspirations.

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
Clock
Finished recently
wackyweeder
mosaicing within old picture frame
Someone somewhere posted details on how to do this...
povertylodge
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
What sort of grout for a birdbath?
I've mosaiced lots of stuff that lives outside but...
1wanderer
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™