Yarmouth Blue and ??white for ceiling/trim

nosoccermomAugust 1, 2012

I've decided to paint my dining room BM Yarmouth Blue and am now trying to figure out colors for the wainscoting, ceiling, and molding. It's your standard builder moldings, nothing special. Floors are natural oak.

Right now I'm planning to use 25% Yarmouth Blue (or is this going to be baby blue) and a creamy white. How do I pick the right white color paint? Should I pull a white/cream from the carpet? And what color for the trim and molding? I'm planning on linen drapes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yayagal

Here's a site where the decorator redoes a dining room using Yarmouth blue, it's the third photo. I think a creamy warm white would be best. Look for one with a hint of yellow as it will compliment the blue so well.

Here is a link that might be useful: yarmouth blue dining room

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 10:05AM
nosoccermom

Thank you for the link, but I'm terribly hopeless; I need color names :) Whatever works with Wedgewood Gray, Woodlawn Blue would be good, too.

How do I know which whites have slightly yellow undertones?
BM White Dove
BM Navajo White
BM Linen White
SW Alabaster

And do I use a different white for the trim and molding or just go semigloss?

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 10:38AM
mom270

Navajo White and Linen White both have yellow undertones. I'm not familiar with the others you list.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 2:50PM
yayagal

I use BM very vanilla with blue which reads white but is very warm and yummies up a soft blue. Here is a link of all whites and you can understand the warm and cool ones. If you look at the warm the decorator has used it with blue. I'd use vanilla ice cream on the ceiling and the woodwork but you could use white dove if you prefer a very white tone.

Here is a link that might be useful: best whites

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 6:08PM
Lyban

What do you mean by 25% Yarmouth Blue? Is that just for the ceiling or are you planning that for the walls also.
Since you have wainscott on the bottom of walls, I think you could go full strenght YB for both the upper walls and ceiling as long as you have crown molding done in a creamy white to seperate walls and ceiling. It will look lighter on ceiling.
I would then do all the molding and wainscott inb the same velvet finish creamy white.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 7:19PM
nosoccermom

For sure, full Yarmouth Blue on the upper walls. I was thinking a 25% on the ceiling and creamy white on the crown molding, wainscot and trim. I'm worried that full strength Yarmouth Blue on the ceiling will make the whole room look "top heavy." Rather, I thought I wanted the ceiling lighter (see below)

Here is a link that might be useful: raise the ceiling

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 9:37PM
Lyban

nosoccermom
OK, I read that link you posted and maybe you would be better off going with the 25% on the ceiling. What is your window situation in the room.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 11:08PM
nosoccermom

Two double hung windows right next to each other, so a total of 72 inches of window, facing west. Ceiling is only 8 feet high. The room has three door openings, 2 regular size (kitchen, hallway) and one very large to the living room.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 12:55AM
More Discussions
Budget kitchen remodel
We relocated to a new state, and bought this home last...
reallymelanie
Why do you decorate?
I'm sure this has come up a million times before ....
anele_gw
Need Light for Kitchen Table
So, I am posting old photos of my kitchen (it has since...
sheilaaus122
Is this legit? RH law suit. You get this ?
This came on email. I suspect it's bogus, but thought...
martinca_gw
Ikea mattresses
We need to get a new twin mattress for my DS (9). ...
jlc712
Sponsored Products
Hi-Bay Polished Nickel 14-Inch Wide One-Light Single Pendant
$338.00 | Bellacor
Blue Resin Coral Figurine
$34.99 | zulily
Lite Source Lucasta Table Lamp - LS-22506
$105.00 | Hayneedle
Verdant Mesa II Canvas Print
Grandin Road
Louis Chandelier by Arteriors
$1,236.00 | Lumens