Windows for Beginners

MusictechJanuary 16, 2014

I have a small 50 year old house I purchased for my parents, for when they retire. ItâÂÂs located in a medium income neighborhood. I have about 12 windows to replace. Half are roughly 36x53 Single Hung windows and the other half are 36x36 Sliding Windows. All are original to the house.

I am looking to replace the windows but I know nothing about windows. THV came out and priced the windows at $5500. I havenâÂÂt called anyone else to get a quote yet and looking for some advice on who to call next. $5500 seems a bit much to me compared to the $189 per window places out there but I donâÂÂt want to get junk. A bit of advice would be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks

This post was edited by Musictech on Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 12:59

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington

Anything in the $189 range is going to be a junk window or a junk install. Both will net you a poor performing window.

What area/climate is the home in?

Existing windows are wood with storms, I suspect?

U-Factor, Air Infiltration, DP, VT, and SHGC are what I measure a window by on the performance end of the equation.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 1:07PM
HomeSealed_WI

+1. At $5500 for 12 windows, that is around $450 each. That is actually a very low price for that THV product, and really a baseline (if not lower than baseline) for what you'll find for a good product installed by a reputable, quality-minded company. THV is not my favorite product, but it is a solid, high end offering and is often sold around $1000 per opening installed.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 1:36PM
mmarse1

450 is usually the threshold for quality in my experience. When you start getting lower bids, especially sub 400, you are almost guaranteed to eventually have problems.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 5:48PM
Musictech

Thanks for the response. The area of the country is West Virginia/Ohio area. The original windows are wood with storm windows, the sliders are metal of some sort.

THV are quoting their vinyl/composite enforced double pane windows. The house is stick built with a red brick facade.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 11:40PM
Karateguy

That is dirt cheap on that window. If you don't believe us, get quotes on some more high end units. I agree with the above pros, although I'd like say $500 per at minimum.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 7:16AM
Musictech

If I wanted to check a competitor, who would be equivalent.

Also, if I wanted to go a little lower on the price. Who should I look at?

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 7:05PM
Karateguy

You are at the baseline price for quality product, quality install, and a reputable company with a showroom, accreditations, etc. Go any lower and you will compromise one of the 3, no ifs, ands, or buts. The best scenario to find an abnormally low price would be to find a young company that is trying to get established, or an old timer with no overhead.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 8:01PM
mmarse1

I agree with karate guy. You may also want to look for a window installer with very rich parents.
Seriously, you are already at a rock bottom price. Why push the envelope.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 9:49PM
More Discussions
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
Any thoughts on the new Beechworth windows by James Hardie
Hi, We are waiting for our building permit and are...
kzim_gw
Andersen Renewal vs Starmark Windows
i currently have a secondary home that we are re designing...
branlance
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™