Exterior window trim

mgabrielJanuary 8, 2010

I posted this question in New build but thought I would post it here as well. We are building a new house. Most of our windows were installed yesterday (Pella Proline) and I noticed that they protrude about 1 1/2" from the exterior sheathing. Any suggestions or pictures on how to trim out the window? We do not want to use brick mold but would like to use a flat trim.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mcsbldr

A typical clad wood window projects approximatley 1" to the exterior side of the sheathing. We often use a 5/4" flat casing and rabbitt the edge on three sides to overlap the window frame by approximatley 1/4". The wood siding then butts to the trim.

Remember to use a metal flashing above the windows and doors, and bevel the lower casing trim to weep water.

We haven't used Pella products for about 20 years, but I do not remember their products projecting as much as 1.5" beyond the sheathing. If this were the case, I'd install the wood siding and butt it to the window frame, and then lay a 3/4" casing trim over the siding. I'd forgo the rabbitted edge, and ensure that I have drip flashing excellently applied.

If you are using a stucco application or another thin material in lieu of wood siding, I'd suggest that you "build-out" the stucco at your openings, or ensure your foam backing on all walls will dimensionally compensate for the wide window and door projections.

Bookmark   January 10, 2010 at 12:14PM
macv

The Pella Design Manual says the frame (including sill) on an aluminum-clad ProLine Series window projects 1 5/16" from the nailing fin. Andersen is the same. Marvin is about 1 1/16".

Unfortunately, the smaller the jamb projection the shorter the sill will be.

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 7:50AM
mgabriel

Thanks for the information. Would it be possible to use a 1" thick trim and run a bead of caulk to between the trim and the window frame or would this look bad?

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
Okna vs. Simonton for bow window
Hi, I'm hoping someone can provide some insights with...
rirae
Sunrise, Marvin, and window shopping woes
Hello, I am looking for some advice. Briefly, we live...
Summer
French Door Advice (looking for affordable alternative)
We are looking to replace a sliding door with a french...
state00
Any opinions on Hurd H3?
I know Hurd is not well-regarded here on GW but the...
song_ca
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
LittleHouseotPrairie
Sponsored Products
Eternity 1-Light Outdoor Lantern
Overstock.com
1-1/2" Tower Drain and Overflow
Signature Hardware
Robert Abbey | WILLIAMSBURG Tayloe Small Pendant Light
$990.00 | YLighting
42'' Summer Night Ceiling Fan by Emerson Fans
$179.00 | Lumens
Cross Extension Table
Design Within Reach