Where should my bed go?

tnormanAugust 24, 2014

Hi there: Advice needed! Do I center my bed on the wall or between the window and the wall? As you see in this photo I have it centered on the wall, but looks to me like I should move it over to the left. Your thoughts appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

I'd move it to the left, centered between the window and the wall, and more straight on as you walk in the door. Pretty headboard.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 10:05AM
bpathome

I think centered between window and wall. It helps define one side as the sleeping side, and the other as the dressing side. But, does someone sleep on the wall side of the bed? When they get up, will they step on floor vent if the bed is moved closer?

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 10:08AM
tibbrix

I'd leave it where it is and find a tall, thin dresser, or something, to put on the other side to balance that wall. I don't think the problem is so much where the bed is but that the one window at one end of a long wall is so awkward and totally imbalances the wall. Without something substantial on the other end, it's going to look odd either way, IMO.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 10:13AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

you might also consider.. make a wall space equal to that on the right of the window .... on the left side of the window ... ... to balance the window ...

and then balance the bed and lamps independently ....

you have two architectural/design objects.. bed and window... in your pic.. you ignored the window.. and centered the bed.. and that is why it looks off to you ...

how it all works out.. to your eye... is left to fate ... meaning.. whatever pleases you ...

ken

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 10:15AM
beverlyfla

Those night stands are way too small in scale to properly balance the bed. I would suggest replacing both and moving the the nightstands and the bed to the left and leaving the window area free with your quilt stand placed in front.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 10:54AM
teacats

Yes. Move the bed to the left -- and center it on the actual wall space --- THEN move the quilt stand under the right-hand window ......

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 11:25AM
tnorman

Such great advice ... as always! Thank you!!

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 1:42PM
stolenidentity

Glad you got the advice you were seeking. Now - May I ask about that quilt tnorman?

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 9:02PM
ghostlyvision

How about some art work on the left side of the wall to help balance out the whole wall? I personally would lower the drapery rod some if you do that though, so your eye isn't moving up and down.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
Is this still in style?
Is blue and brown still in style? I really like this...
FinallyHome
tibbrix
It's me......
Hi Everybody. It's me. I'm a relatively longtime...
Karen Viscito Interiors
Annie D. & others -- Should I say goodbye to my crystal chandelier?
I'm redecorating my dining room and am doing British...
texasgal47
My anniversary gift
Got a new piece of furniture the other day. Well sort...
the_foxes_pad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™