Help -- Marvin Integrity vs Milgard Montecito

xrayvisionJanuary 13, 2010

Hi and thanks everyone for all of their help.

We are changing our windows -- new construction method. We live in Sacramento CA area so Summers hot 100-110 and Winters cool in low 40s.

Our GC has quoted us for Milgard Montecito Vinyls from HD price is $4,399.

My friend recommended Marvin Integrity with the Pine interiors -- those came out to $6,834 --- so 55% higher.

We are planning in living in this house until kids leave for college.

So some additional things to consider in cost are that the Marvin's are a little big for our Rough Openings -- by 1/4 - 1/2 inch - so sounds like GC would have to trim some of the openings (is this ok or bad for structural integrity around windows?). And additional for the inner pine trim.

From what it sounds like reading the prior threads, kind of like comparing apples to oranges. Is the additional price worth it for the Marvins? One question is how fast does window technology advance, ie 10 yrs down the road is window technology going to advance so much that I will need/want to change my windows anyways regardless of what I get today. Or should I buy the window today that will last the longest seeing how we plan on being here at least 17 yrs. Just trying to spend wisely in my ever expanding budget during this renovation.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

Very true...apples to oranges.

I think you will see the delta back in resale value with the Marvins and it is a top notch product.

Bookmark   January 13, 2010 at 9:08AM
afsa

I agree completely with what windowsonwashington says, and with those high temps i would not want to use vinyl windows if it were my house, just my personal feelings no proven facts just me

Bookmark   January 13, 2010 at 10:47AM
xrayvision

Thanks for advice!!!

Bookmark   January 14, 2010 at 6:02AM
More Discussions
Need reassurance! Pella windows not a bad decision?
My house currently has 4 kinds of windows - contractor's...
Laurel Wittman
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
juddgirl2
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Contractor introduced me to yet another window, Vi Win Tech windows???
A building contractor we are using for a garage guesthouse...
happyallison
Privacy Glass?
I'm planning new windows for a master bath, and want...
numbersjunkie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™