Good Sources for Mid-Century style Entry Doors

lee676January 3, 2013

I know this is a window forum, but there's no door forum so I'll post this here since this comes closest....

I need a replacement door for a 1950s house built in what was then considered a modern/contemporary style home - stone and brick front, large metal horizontal windows (some which wrap around the sides of the house), low-pitch roof. Most of the big door manufacturers are pushing doors with elaborate, ornate decorative glass, usually in an oval, large rectangle, or arch shape, in deeply sculpted doors. Sometimes several of the above in the same door. These look perfect on big Colonial-style McMansions, but is all wrong for my house. But with a few exceptions, I'm having trouble locating vendors for good replacement doors for a mid-century upscale ranch house. The current door looks like the top one here - which I like, or would if it were stained wood or painted a more muted color - but it's custom made by a small vendor and rather pricey. What big, lower-cost door companies make these?

The only big manufacturer I've found so far making this general style is ProVia, whose line of clear glass doors includes these:

I'd like both of these better if the glass came further down the door. They have one with a diamond-shaped window, but again it needs three stacked vertically to look right and function well. Something like the door on the bottom would work well, with an asymetrical narrow but tall window offset toward the opening side.

So what else is out there? Anyone know where to look? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ashebrook

I think you might like one of these:

http://www.crestviewdoors.com/order/crestview-doors-and-entry-systems.html

I learned about that manufacturer from reading retrorenovation.com which you also might like since you have a midcentury house.

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 10:16AM
lee676

I think Crestview makes the doors from the top pictures - that was the main one I found. They apparently didn't even sell whole doors at first, just the windows and associated hardware and trimpieces for you to insert yourself in a plain flush door. Those became so popular that they started selling whole doors since then, and I may get one. But there must be other choices out there, one with a local vendor where I can look at the doors and check out the quality.

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 10:35AM
millworkman

A real lumberyard or good local window and door dealer should be able to help you as these are available thru most millwork houses.

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 11:05AM
windowsonwashington

Polaris makes that top door.

Where is the home located?

Here is a link that might be useful: Polaris Doors

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 6:38PM
lee676

I'm near Washington DC, not near the midwestern vendors that Polaris stocks. Tney have some doors in their "City Lites Collection" tnat may work, although the triple-lite door looks more like the ProVia white doors I showed earlier than the Crestview door at the top of the page (with overlapping, larger windows) which is what I have there now).

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 3:19AM
windowsonwashington

Polaris does service this area but they do not have a stocking location.

You have your pick of the litter when it comes to door suppliers out here.

Provia makes a very nice unit as does Polaris, HMI, Therma-Tru, Pella, etc.

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 8:57AM
lee676

this is just gorgeous.

the door, the house, the photograph....

Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 12:56AM
lee676

This one quite nice too.

I'm leaning toward the ProVia though given what seems to be its good rep. Pella and ThermaTru didn't seem to have what I'm looking for. Still considering Crestview too - would I be better off buying their complete door, or just their window kits to install in the flush door of my choice?

Bookmark   January 13, 2013 at 6:22AM
millworkman

I am not a fan of Crestview, quality is marginal from what I have seen, read and been told. Straigh internet companies are not a good choice but that is only my opinion.

Bookmark   January 13, 2013 at 10:11AM
More Discussions
Which LoE coating ?
New construction. House located in Knoxville, Tennessee Front...
buildinse
Sliding Glass Door Brand Recommendations
Thank you for your help here a week or so ago, when...
Carrie B
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Contractor introduced me to yet another window, Vi Win Tech windows???
A building contractor we are using for a garage guesthouse...
happyallison
Opinions on Sunrise vinyl sliders?
I bit the bullet and went with Okna windows! Not biting...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™