Flowers for engagement party

emersonsfMarch 22, 2006

My daughter is getting married and is having an engagement party given by her fiance's parents. My wife and I are not able to go. her mother and I are divorced and she has a stepfather.

Since we cannot go to the engagement party ( we have not met her future in-laws) I suggested that maybe we should send flowers with a nice note. My wife says that it is the grooms parents who have the party and they will probably have flowers already picked out etc. and that we should not send them. What is proper or rather the right thing to do.

Thanks

JP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

I'm no expert, but how could sending flowers be wrong? Your daughter would probably be pleased that you were thinking of her at that special event.

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 4:31PM
sweet_pea10

I agree; send the flowers to your daughter, not to the in-laws, though you may need to send them to the in-law's home.

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 8:20PM
talley_sue_nyc

are you unable to be there bcs of schedule, or bcs of conflics? I'm hoping it's schedule.

I vote for asking your DD for the future in-law's phone number, and calling the hostess. Tell her you're unable to be there, wish you could, and wonder if perhaps you could show your goodwill by sending flowers along...

Or, write a note to your daughter (or to the entire company), and send it to them, asking them to read it aloud on your behalf, in order to convey your good wishes to all there. (flummox them all by adding a nice sentence of praise for your DD's mother)

Or, if you've been invited and declined already, just use the address from the invite to send flowers to the future in-laws as a goodwill gesture.

You might also, if distance permits, simply invite the groom's family over for dinner, so you can meet them. Normally, etiquette says that the groom's family is to extend the social invitation first, but folks don't usually know this. And anyone who has a social impulse should follow it.

Bookmark   March 24, 2006 at 2:19PM
gellchom

I think it is a GREAT idea to send flowers to your daughter's future in-laws. But not to the party -- your wife is right, the decorations at the party are for them to choose. Rather, send a pretty arrangement to their home, as a gift for them, with a note thanking them for giving the party for the kids, expressing your regrets that you cannot attend, and wishing them all a lovely evening. What a charming gesture, especially at a time when future family relationships are being formed.

In fact, I think this is such a good idea, if I were you, I would do it even if I were attending. If I were the hosts, I would be very impressed and grateful. I'm going to remember this.

Bookmark   March 28, 2006 at 8:49PM
More Discussions
bottles of wine for outdoor wedding on lawn?
What do people think of the idea of offering bottles...
kitasei
His/her point of view
DH and I went to his niece's wedding last Sat. and...
scarlett2001
wedding on a budget with 300 guest! help
My fiancé and I are getting married October this...
jrlong
Greek wedding
Hi, My son is marrying into a wonderful, large, very...
robins143
combined maid of honor/best man speech?
so I'm the maid of honor in my sisters wedding this...
becca1225
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™