A 'trashy/treasure' Christmas

des_arc_ya_yaDecember 9, 2004

How much of your Christmas decorating involves things that you've "created" from other stuff?

I have two rusted metal store rack/fixtures that will soon go up on the mantel. I put tiny strings of white lights on them last year and loved them!

How about you? Got stories/ideas to share?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barbara52

I have an idea which I'm going to implement (and take pics of) in the next few days...
I'm going to take some vintage ornaments, place them inside a glass cloche, and display them on a cakestand. The ornaments, cloche, and cakestand are all thrift-shop finds.
I'm also going to display some ornaments on candlesticks. Pics to come later.
Would love to see pics of those metal fixtures w/lights, Des Arc Ya Ya !

Bookmark   December 10, 2004 at 5:02AM
secondhandrose2

I trash picked a wooden high chair that lost its tray. I painted it white and distressed it. An old Christmas bear sits in it. He is holding yard sale Christmas picks, berries, bells and beads. He is wearing a stocking cap my daughter made out of felt at school. Very cute.
barbara52: I have done the vintage ornaments in the same manner in the past and it is a very chic look. This year, I put them in a tall wide glass vase with pearls intertwined. Looks very cool. I am thinking of putting some vintage ornaments in a yard sale bird cage I have and putting a wide ribbon with a bow tied around the base. Someone gave me the idea at another forum

Bookmark   December 10, 2004 at 8:35AM
ohiomom

I had a "chance" at two wooden chairs this morning....DH said where are you going to put them???? LOL We had to move into a smaller place, darn, I want those chairs!!!!

Bookmark   December 10, 2004 at 10:38AM
chinacat_sunflower

made a lap rug. out of scraps and remnants I collected from my weekend job.

made two scarfs out of the polar fleece left over from the backing.

made another lap rug.

used a thrift-shop flannel sheet as the backing

took all the pink and gold scraps I had left, and sewed them all together- and got a THIRD lap rug out of them.

going to back it with upholstery velvet I bought for a buck at a yard sale this summer just because it was SUCH a deal (never thought I'd have a use for pink velvet)

going home tonight, and try out the 'rag quilt' technique to see if I can make some coasters- I think toile coasters would be fun :)

Bookmark   December 10, 2004 at 1:54PM
Carol_from_ny

When my kids were little I was looking for a project to keep them busy while I decorated the tree and yet let them be apart of it all. What I came up with was using packing peanuts...the ones with the holes in them..strung together on dark green yarn with plastic sewing needles.
The kids had a blast stringing the peanuts and when we were done we put them on the tree....it looked like snow had fallen on the tree.
This was 20 some years ago....what I thought was going to be a one time decoration has turned into a must have on the tree.

Bookmark   December 11, 2004 at 11:44PM
jaybird

I have an old rack that held bags of chips, that I got from Sherree, holding Christmas cards and the 2004 dose of family pictures!!! I changed her pretty peach colored ribbon to one that is red plaid!!! Looks pretty cute on my wall!

Bookmark   December 15, 2004 at 2:43PM
barbara52

Merry Christmas to All. Here are my decorations made with "trash" -- vintage ornaments and bottle-brush trees, fake snow, cake stands, and garden cloches. Everything except the snow is from the TS or flea market.

Barbara

Bookmark   December 25, 2004 at 3:37AM
hailefinn

I picked up a wooden highchair (no tray)and had a guy glue the spindles and restain it(cost $5.00). I put a Teddy Bear in it. I also have a chips rack..never thought to use it for cards.

Jay Bird ...what are cloches?

Bookmark   January 3, 2005 at 5:08PM
More Discussions
Need Material Ideas
My old house has non standard floor vents. The metal...
beth0301
ISO...Silverplate silverware
I'm looking for anyone that might have silverplate...
leveta
ideas for church window frames
I have a chance to get these at a very good price but...
vic447
making glass bird bath
found a heavy glass serving bowl. I want to attach...
lily603
Ceramics and Rustoleum spray paint?
Hi! I have a large/tall grey ceramic vase that I really...
party_music50
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™