How to thread Underwood Typewriter?

standayDecember 25, 2006

Hi, Can anyone out there tell me how to thread the ribbon on an old Underwood Typewriter model 5?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craftylady-2006

Standay,

Can you post a pic of the typewriter. I'm guessing there are two spools which go on either side and the ribbon is pulled taunt between the spools?

Sal

Bookmark   December 26, 2006 at 5:58PM
craftylady-2006

Standay - Better yet: Type "Underwood Typewriters" in your web browser line - I just did and several sites came up. Since I'm not sure what yours looks like, hard to pick out what you're looking for. You might even be able to write or send one of the companies and email and ask if they have an instruction manual for your type.

Sal

Bookmark   December 26, 2006 at 6:04PM
standay

It's this one:

I did try to find the info on the web but could find no information on just threading the ribbon. Yes, it just has 2 spools on it. Ribbon has both black and red sections on it. I found a few manuals for sale online but I just need to know about the ribbon threading. I don't plan to use the typewriter much but wanted to at least get it going!

Bookmark   December 27, 2006 at 8:33AM
socks

I did find the link below, but it really isn't much help.

Did you get a new ribbon exactly like the old one? I assume you cannot see how the old one was threaded and that's the problem?

As I recall, you put the two new spools on the pins that hold them, then insert the ribbon in the bracket which holds it and moves it up when you press a key. Press any key a little to see that bracket move up so when the key strikes it hits the ribbon making an impression on the paper.

Don't know if this helps a bit or not, but I tried! Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: typewriter ribbon

Bookmark   December 27, 2006 at 5:17PM
tapp_john_yahoo_com

First, take the ribbon off the old spools if you can't get new ones. You may have to find a computer ribbon cartridge. Cut in the middle of the ribbon with a scissors, hook one end of the ribbon on the prong inside the spool. Wind the spool until the ribbon has filled to about one-eighth inch from the edge. Hook the other side of the ribbon to the other spool. The spools hooked together with the ribbon should look a little like a reel-to-reel tape recorder tape. When you install the ribbon, the ribbon itself between the spools should be facing you. When the ribbon is installed in the typewriter, the left takeup will wind clockwise and the right takeup will wind counterclockwise. Each spool cup on this machine has a little lever on the side. Pull that lever towards you, and that will bring out the slot the ribbon goes in. Put the ribbon in those slots. The ribbon should also contact the wheels on the sides of the spool cups. Now bring the ribbon to the "vibrator," or the little thing that brings the ribbon up each time a type bar strikes the paper, and thread it in between the slots on either side.

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 9:45PM
joshua_lehr_yahoo_com

Try this link.
This is the original manual for the underwoods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Underwood manual

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 8:12PM
More Discussions
upholstered head board
I wish I had the two "before" pictures. This...
arcy_gw
ideas for church window frames
I have a chance to get these at a very good price but...
vic447
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
What would you do with a boatload of Orangina bottles?
My niece is quite fond of Orangina, and knowing how...
alison
Need Material Ideas
My old house has non standard floor vents. The metal...
beth0301
Sponsored Products
Arteriors Home Keegan 19-Light Polished Nickel Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Fairmont Designs Stratford 48" Vanity - Brandy
Modern Bathroom
Bandio 5-piece Resin Wicker Outdoor Furniture Set
Overstock.com
Cobblestone Rug 5' x 8' - PURPLE
$499.00 | Horchow
Lucera Duvet Cover - Queen
$359.00 | FRONTGATE