Should I do this or not?

emersonsfMarch 23, 2006

My daughter is getting married and is having an engagement party given by her fiance's parents. My wife and I are not able to go. her mother and I are divorced and she has a stepfather.

Since we cannot go to the engagement party ( we have not met her future in-laws) I suggested that maybe we should send flowers with a nice note. My wife says that it is the grooms parents who have the party and they will probably have flowers already picked out etc. and that we should not send them. What is proper or rather the right thing to do.

Thanks

JP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancylouise_gw

I think it would be a wonderful gesture on your part to send flowers. It doesn't matter if the grooms' parents have already ordered flowers for the occassion. You are the father of the Bride. To let your daughter know you are thinking about her and her fiance even though you can not be at the party is so awesome. I'm sure she would appreciate it more than you know. Sorry but your wife is wrong in this cituation. NancyLouise

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 11:32AM
Ideefixe

Sometimes people think it's improper to show up for a dinner party with flowers, as the hostess may already have a centerpiece, etc.
But this is different--you're sending your regrets, and a nice plant or flowers is very thoughtful.

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 11:55AM
socks

Send flowers.

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 12:25PM
sweet_pea10

Are you planning to send the flowers to your daughter or to her in-laws, the hosts of the party? I would send them to your daughter as a way to let her know that you are thinking about her at that time.

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 8:19PM
gellchom

I think it is a GREAT idea to send flowers to the hosts -- not for the party, just for them. You aren't replacing their centerpieces; you're sending them a gift (they can put your flowers in their bedroom if they want) thanking them for giving the party for your child and for inviting you, and telling them you wish you could be there and are thinking of them. A wonderful gesture. In fact, I think it's such a good idea, if I'm ever in that position, I would do it even if we WERE able to attend.

Bookmark   March 27, 2006 at 5:11PM
scarlett2001

While it is very thoughtful to send flowers, I wonder why you are not going? (Unless you have impending open heart surgery or something.) This is a major event in your daughter's life- she needs all the family support she can get.

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 1:44PM
More Discussions
small wedding dilemma
My daughter and her fiancee have just gotten engaged...
Kathy Harrington
What wedding gifts (if any) did you get from parents/inlaws?
...And what wedding gift(s) if any did you give your...
jewelisfabulous
Thinking of Eloping...
Life story, shortened. I am engaged to the best friend...
lauraeli_
Great wedding ideas!
My son's wedding is finally over! It was wonderful!...
granny2ricky
Older Couple, First Marriage
I have some friends who will be getting married within...
suzieque
Sponsored Products
2 Doors, 2 Drawer Vanity Cabinet with Self Rimming Sink
TheBathOutlet
All Shook Up Cocktail Shaker
| Dot & Bo
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Dynamix Rugs Majestic Burgundy 7 ft.
Home Depot
Belham Living Palazetto Cast Aluminum Love Seat and Coffee Table Multicolor - 22
$849.98 | Hayneedle
Boos Block Kitchen Island Multicolor - PCA1-NAT
$599.00 | Hayneedle
Tech Lighting | Single-Feed 12V 300W Surface Transformer Two-Circuit MonoRail
$725.60 | YLighting
Floor Lamp: 60 in. Chrome Floor Lamp 40OK-5125F
Home Depot
Reflections Microfiber Tablecloth
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™