What adhesive to use on wooden piano substrate?

concretenprimrosesMay 19, 2012

An artist friend is taking part in one of those community piano projects where pianos are decorated then put outside where people can just wander up and play them. The theme she chose is the blues, and she wants to mosaic the Mississippi river on one side of the piano, and our local Connecticut river on the other. I've been tumbling dish shards (thanks again Calamity)because it has to be "touchable" clearly.

Should we use thinset on a wood piano? (It will be demolished after the "show" is over.) My concern is the stuff staying on. She also passed out a bunch of thin tiles of composite wood to people to decorate in the blues theme to attach to the back like a quilt. (I have 6 that I am decorating, 4 done.) So what do you think we should attach them to the piano with? The sponsors are supplying a heavy duty clear coat of something to paint over the whole thing when done. I'm assuming they did their research and it will work.

But how to attach?

TIA

Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

I don't understand the "demolished after the show is over". Seems a whole lot of work to be demolished. I've used thinset for adhesive on wood, but you could also use silicon - GEII.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 8:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
concretenprimroses

I know. It is a lot of work, but we are doing it fast and furious without using long lasting materials. For the river, I am using mostly dishes that I had rejected for my mosaic project (too porous) but that I think will last a month outside in summer. The "tiles" for the back I am mostly painting and gluing on objects. Its kind of like the beautiful sand paintings the buddhists make then destroy. or the gorgeous chalk paintings in amsterdam and other european cities that only last until the next rain. My friend is hoping to get some of the innards to use in future projects when they are demolished.
Kathy

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
Need grout colour suggestion.
I have been working on this project through the holidays...
tiffy_z5_6_can
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
Product for gluing glass on glass?
I have E6000, but I would rather not use it, too stinky....
deedlesmom
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Area Rug: Pockets Blue 5' x 8'
Home Depot
6" LED Recessed Light Retrofit Trim
$59.98 | Lamps Plus
Joy Carpets ABC Feelings Kids Area Rug - 1408-C
$249.99 | Hayneedle
Set of Four Lyford Placemats
$60.00 | FRONTGATE
All Seasons Folding Table in Kiwi
$199.99 | Dot & Bo
Koncept Gen 3 Z-Bar Mini Daylight LED Desk Lamp Silver
Euro Style Lighting
Bagatelle Heirloom Gold One-Light Clear Heritage Handcut Crystal Wall Sconce, 8W
$625.00 | Bellacor
Simple Living Bettega Parson Five-piece Dining Set
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™