decorating an arbor

luckymom_cJanuary 16, 2009

Hi,

My daughter's wedding venue has a large, rustic, wooden arbor which we'd like to decorate in an asymmetrical style. We like japanese ikebana arrangements, but we're NOT going for a japanese look. We'd like to keep it rather clean - not a lot of swags, garlands, bouquets, etc. Really just enough to take the edge off. We've thought of having a large pot of something on each side, but the asymmetry is difficult for us figure.

Has anyone seen anything like what I'm trying to describe? Photos would be immensely helpful!

Thanks for any ideas!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duckie

Here are a couple of thoughts -
http://www.diamondrental.com/images/weddings/ArchLogArbor.jpg This is NOT decorated for a standard wedding. However, take a look at the shapes and sizes. It is asymetrical, but beautifully balanced. And note the simplicity of color. It's not on the arbor, but next to it.

The second thought I have as the link. I know in the picture the wind is contributing. However, even before the gust, there were flowers just on the upper left. And it seems to me that the ferns are 'thinner' on the right.

One thing to keep in mind is that the standard bride and groom or full wedding party make up an asymetrical arrangement. The eye is drawn toward the white of a wedding gown much more than that of a dark suit. If you have attendants standing up as well, the bride's side is likely much more eye catching than the groom's. Because of this, I'd give the groom's side the greater 'oomph' if one side seems more visually weighted than the other.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   January 17, 2009 at 8:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luckymom_c

Hi Duckie,
Thanks for such a thoughtful reply. The windblown arbor picture was helpful, as were your thoughts about where the eye will be drawn. Ordinarily I envision the height being on the left, but I'm going to try reversing that. There will be only one attendant on each side, if that matters.

Any more ideas or images will still be appreciated.

Carolyn

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Monetary wedding gift
What is an appropriate monetary amount to give for...
TerriJM
combined maid of honor/best man speech?
so I'm the maid of honor in my sisters wedding this...
becca1225
Exciting Proposal?
I think YES! This is my dear friend! I can't wait for...
Jessica1717
wedding on a budget with 300 guest! help
My fiancé and I are getting married October this...
jrlong
bottles of wine for outdoor wedding on lawn?
What do people think of the idea of offering bottles...
kitasei
Sponsored Products
Skylar 22-Inch Taupe Decorative Pillows, Set of 2
$55.95 | Bellacor
Chelsea Home Furniture Shae Accent Chair - Vibes Truffle - 159920-C-VT
$939.99 | Hayneedle
Lovely Garden Jewelry Tree
$23.99 | Dot & Bo
Palm Tree Cordials
Classic Hostess
WAC Modern Forms | Vela OLED Wall Light
YLighting