short destination wedding dress recommendation?

fedyk9January 2, 2009

I have a destination wedding planned at the Ritz in Maui next August and was wondering if any of you have any recommendations for a knee or tea length dress for a petite bride? I am looking for something somewhat informal and would even be open to bridesmaid recommendations! THanks in advance for your help.

Amanda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweet_pea10

This is a great time to check the department stores for party dresses on sale. Around prom time is another good time to find dresses in department stores. Also look for cruise wear. If all else fails, you may need to have a dress made. It seems that there are few shorter dresses currently available that are not dark colored cocktail dresses. You might also want to do an on-line search and see what you find.

Bookmark   January 3, 2009 at 3:34PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Buy a bridal magazine and see what you can find. Also check out Jessica McClintock's line.

Bookmark   January 3, 2009 at 3:56PM
gellchom

As you aren't looking for a traditional wedding gown, I would look at bridal shops almost as a last resort. You should be able to find a fabulous party dress, better made, for less money, at a dress shop or department store -- or even made to order by a seamstress. You can always purchase a veil if you want the effect to be very wedding-y.

Bookmark   January 10, 2009 at 8:47PM
mary_md7

Many bridesmaid's dresses come in ivory or white. I was married in an invory silk dupioni bridesmaid's dress from Belsoie. When I got married (2001) there were hardly any tea length dresses shown, but there are more now. Try Belsoie/Jasmine and Alfred Angelo.

Also, you can have a longer gown shortened.

Bookmark   January 24, 2009 at 7:25AM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Take a look at J. Crew's site (now that you can get into it again). They have a Wedding section and have shorter dresses under "Bridesmaids".

Here is a link that might be useful: J. Crew Bridesmaids Dresses

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 2:42PM
dotz_gw

I got my dress online at RomanticThreads..They had a lot of tea length..not too expensive..I did have to have it altered when I got it...

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 8:49PM
More Discussions
wedding on a budget with 300 guest! help
My fiancé and I are getting married October this...
jrlong
small wedding dilemma
My daughter and her fiancee have just gotten engaged...
Kathy Harrington
Mother of the Groom dress
Our son will be getting married August 2, outdoors. I...
sidnee
I just got back from the best wedding!
Wow, I thought I had seen it all, but this was so great! The...
scarlett2001
Las Vegas Wedding
Can anyone give me advice on an elegant & classy...
secondtimebride
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™