Venetian Glass Tile

kittyjhgMay 4, 2008

New to this so... here's the question- Want to mosaic wood tabletop and saw venetian glass tiles. I want opaque look, so how would that look? Am going to also mix with some diamond shaped that is the regular kind of glass from Mosaic Tile Mania. I like to take the diamond shapes and make flowers with them. Have to buy mine precut 'cos have "arthur hands" and I'd probably cut my fingers off if I tried to cut my own! LOL

Jeanette from Mississippi

P.S. If any of you have used venetian glass would love to see your pics.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
platebreaker

I used to love working with vitreous (venetian) tiles (mostly 3/4"). Here is my Flickr link - the first 3 projects are mosaiced totally in vit. Stained glass is sometimes thinner than vit so you may have to build it up so it is level for a table top.

http://flickr.com/photos/88594345@N00/

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 8:44PM
platebreaker

OK - so I posted without thoroughly reading your post - "wood table". Hopefully this will be used indoors only! Wood just isn't mosaic-friendly! Yes, you can use marine ply (5 ply thick) but wood on the verticle isn't good for a mosaic. If you still want to use this (for indoors), you will need to score and seal the wood before mosaicing (slap me if you already knew this - ;) - I like to use Kilz (water-based).
Jane

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 8:55PM
kittyjhg

EEK, no, Platebreaker, I was going to use it under a covered patio. Actually, it's really a chair minus the back that I "dumpster-dived". It's very thick since it was a chair. I just really wanted to make something nice out of something that no one wanted. I kind of felt sorry for it, all alone it the garbage. LOL I was going to paint the legs a very bright color. Maybe, I should just sand it off and just paint it instead. Jeanette

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 10:59PM
shrty411

Wood absorbs moisture ...causing your tiles to pop off. No matter how much you seal it ( just takes longer sometimes)

There is a height difference between vit. tiles and stained glass, so that can be an issue, too.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 1:10AM
More Discussions
I have been making some mirrors...
I am enjoying looking at all of your mosaics and I...
angs_pool
bicem
Hi, bicem, you posted a mosaic question on the "conversation"...
silvamae
Help! Newbie Ballchain
Hi everyone new here! I want to incorporate ball chain...
KathyC55
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™