shabby color of cream?

sharon_flNovember 9, 2007

I am in a quandry as to which color of 'cream' will be the right one to use to paint the antique furniture I'm doing for my GD's 'Cinderella' themed room I'm doing.

I have looked at lots of samples but they all began to look alike! LOL!

The colors in the room will feature a baby pink & lavender and I'd like a real 'creamy' white-more on the yellow side? That make sense? Do any of you paint shabby & have a particular brand & color name that you can suggest to me? THANKS!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luckygal

I've had the same problem in choosing whites - there are thousands!

On this site they use and recommend Wal-Mart brand semi-gloss Country White and Antique White paints. Either can be used as the main color with the other color dry-brushed over. See the instructions near the bottom of the page here: http://www.greenoakantiques.com/workshopcupboards.htm

I like the Antique White and have it on several old pieces but find the Country White quite yellow even tho I had more white added. I haven't tried dry-brushing with the yellow because of that.

Bookmark   November 9, 2007 at 11:13PM
sharon_fl

Thank you-I'm on my way to check out these whites you suggested.

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 9:15AM
luckygal

Hope those colors work for you and you post the results. Love the combo of pink and lavender.

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 1:41PM
sarahcorrigan

I had this same problem when I re-decorated my living room. The walls are a very pale pink, and I had trouble finding the right white. I went through several shades and found that pure bright white actually worked the best. I thought it would be too harsh, but the pink actually gave the bright white a soft, feminine look.

Bookmark   November 11, 2007 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
Hi you wonderful T2T'ers -mail post?
I would like to decorate my mail box post. It is a...
rhomy
How to remove labels from glass bottles
I bought some pretty perfume bottles at a garage sale...
phish_gw
Idea for Empty Prescription Bottles?
So I keep looking at my empty prescription bottles,...
thrift_shop_romantic
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
New uses for old stuff
I've read many good posts on what to do with clothes...
jtribe1234
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™