Old console TV

pandasmomNovember 3, 2005

What can I do with an old wooden console television after taking out the screen, etc.? Seems a shame to trash the whole thing, thinking of putting shelves inside and making a workbench in garage.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sistersunnie

My grandmother had a local guy fit it with shelves and put small louvered doors(I think he used window shutters) stained to match. She uses it to store her dishes. Looks great.

Bookmark   November 3, 2005 at 9:56AM
techsupport8

I've seen people use them as aquariums . . .

Bookmark   November 3, 2005 at 9:58AM
Cheri_C

That reminds me of when I was like in first grade, we had a TV that they had took the insides out in our classroom and we would get in there and pretend we where on TV. That was like 39 years ago. Hope you figure something out for it. Some of those are really nice cabinets.

Bookmark   November 3, 2005 at 2:18PM
LorettaF

You could add a shelf or two, stain them to "match" the outer wood and use it as a book shelf.

My sister found the kind with the doors on the front. Her significant other removed the TV, added a couple shelves and she now uses it as video storage and has her TV sitting on top! Looks very nice, too!

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 9:45AM
des_arc_ya_ya

I have a 1956 Motorola that I bought last year. It worked at the guy's house and then I got it home and it never worked! Took it to the shop and the repairman said he couldn't get parts for it.

(Ya Ya - who's gonna read this post with eager interest! LOL)

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 8:38PM
lydia1959

Found this idea: "Diane turned an old TV cabinet into a liquor bar. She found the piece at (where else?) a yard sale for $2. She covered the screen area with a retro fabric with little martini glasses on it."

Bookmark   November 5, 2005 at 9:54AM
ohiomom

A friend of mine converted one of these into a liquor cabinet also. He gutted and added shelves. It had doors on the front, he painted it a high-gloss black with oriental design decoupaged on front.

linda

Bookmark   November 22, 2005 at 7:29AM
More Discussions
Idea for Empty Prescription Bottles?
So I keep looking at my empty prescription bottles,...
thrift_shop_romantic
Ceramics and Rustoleum spray paint?
Hi! I have a large/tall grey ceramic vase that I really...
party_music50
Need advice on what to do with this desk!
I got this beast of a beauty at a thrift store for...
todds_sweetpea
Hi you wonderful T2T'ers -mail post?
I would like to decorate my mail box post. It is a...
rhomy
wedding dress?
ok, i have a wedding dress. it's quite huge, as most...
beckerster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™