RECIPE: Vegetarian Recipes...All Types...12-16
Soft mini tortilla prepared "Baja Style" with chopped onions, cilantro and salsa. Rich in vitamins and fiber, very tasty, very low in fat, and very healthy!
Nutrition Information Per Serving:
CALORIES: Excellent Choice (210)
CHOLESTEROL: Excellent Choice (0 mg)
FAT: Excellent Choice (1 g)*
SODIUM: Excellent Choice (200 mg)
EXCHANGES: Â¼ Meat, 2Â½ Bread, Â¾ Veg, Â¼ Fat
PROTEIN: 8 g, CARBOHYDRATE: 44 g
* Primarily unsaturated fat
Ingredients (4 servings):
Â½ cup rice
Â½ cup tomato juice
Â½ cup water
4 corn tortillas (or 8 mini tortillas)
Â¹Â¤3 cup onion, julienne cut
Â½ cup bell pepper, julienne cut
Â½ cup zucchini, julienne cut
1 cup black or pinto beans, cooked
Â½ tsp. garlic (granulated)
Â¼ tsp. Oregano
Â¾ tsp. Italian seasoning
Â¼ tsp. black pepper
Â¾ tsp. red pepper
2 oz. (Â¼ cup) salsa of your choice
1. Cook rice according to package instructions, except adjust liquid to be Â½ cup water and Â½ cup tomato juice.
2. "SautÃ©" the vegetables in a non-stick skillet with 1Tbs. water (i.e., steam vegetables), stirring constantly.
3. Season with garlic, Italian seasoning, oregano, black and red pepper, and cook 10 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
4. Warm tortillas (i.e., microwave or steam).
5. Place some vegetables, beans, rice, and salsa on each tortilla, roll, and serve.
Two corn tortillas filled with fresh eggplant, covered with homemade sauce. Serve with brown rice and black beans.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
CALORIES: Good Choice (420)
CHOLESTEROL: Excellent Choice (10 mg)
FAT: Excellent Choice (7 g)
SODIUM: Good Choice (455 mg)**
EXCHANGES: 1 Meat, 4Â¼ Bread, 2 Veg, Â¾ Fat
PROTEIN: 18 g, CARBOHYDRATE: 75 g
This nutrition analysis corresponds to the recipe below. The restaurant version may differ.
Ingredients (4 servings):
8 corn tortillas
4 cup eggplant, chopped
1 cup pico de gallo
1Â½ cups ranchero sauceÂ, divided
Â½ cup Monterey jack cheese (or soy cheese), shredded
2 cups brown rice, cooked
2 cups black beans
Â¼ cup shredded carrots
Â¼ cup cilantro, chopped
4 lemon wedges
ÂFound in the Mexican food section of most supermarkets. It may have the name salsa ranchero.
1. Heat flat skillet. Place tortillas on hot skillet with a sprinkle of water to warm.
2. Heat another skillet on medium-high heat.
3. Add 1 cup ranchero sauce, pico de gallo and one cup diced eggplant.
4. Cook with the lid on for 2 minutes.
5. Mix in cheese.
6. Place a few spoonfuls of cooked eggplant mixture in each heated corn tortilla and roll up.
7. Top with ranchero sauce.
8. Serve with brown rice, black beans and garnish with shredded carrots, cilantro and lemon wedges.
Â· 8 oz. package of seasoned tempeh, seasoned tofu, or...