I have a lot of jar lids but no ideas.

Kelly_68October 18, 2006

I have over 300 glass jar lids from canning jars, but I really don't know what to do with them. I want to keep them because they were my grandmother's, so does anybody have any suggestions what I could do with them? I also have lots of glass milk bottles that I am not sure what to do with, so any help there would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phish_gw

them with different colored paint and make a mobile? If that works, and you have enough lids left over, you could make mobiles for other relatives who loved your grandmother.

On the bottles, I have 2 suggestions but they are a fair amount of work. One is to drill a hole near the bottom and decorate as an incense burner. The other is drill a hole and insert tiny christmas lights and decorate the outside (paint or stickers) it makes a good party light. I've done both these things with wine bottles. Another way to decorate is to basically decoupage with different colored strips of tissue paper. I know of a church that decorated jars this way as votive holders as centerpieces for a big function. Also, maybe you could decorate and turn them into bird feeders?

the other is paint/decorate them for candle holders (I don't know how they are shaped if that would allow it).

Bookmark   October 19, 2006 at 9:35AM
luvstocraft

At a craft show a couple years ago, I bought a jar lid painted like a snowman face--they had others painted like gingerbread faces. You could also do scarecrows, raggedy annes, penquins, etc. Or wire three together for a snowman--I've seen those too. Good luck finding projects to use them for. Luvs

Bookmark   October 21, 2006 at 12:25AM
chickadee__3a

In my teaching days I used to have the children bring in jar lids or the metal tops from frozen juice tins. I would cut , using pinking shears, circles of Xmas fabric which we would glue on and then varathane when dry , adding a bit of glitter to glitz it up a little. Punch a hole, add a ribbon and you have a pretty little ornament.
Re: your milk bottles- some old bottles can be worth something. It might be worth looking into to see if you have any real treasures.

Bookmark   October 21, 2006 at 8:38AM
More Discussions
How to remove labels from glass bottles
I bought some pretty perfume bottles at a garage sale...
phish_gw
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
honugirl
Definitely not trash, but a real treasure. Exceptional find!
A quick look-see stop in Habitat for Humanity's 'Restore'...
adaorand
From Henredon Dresser to Living Room Console
You only get lucky a few times in life and this time...
AmateurDecor101
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™