Has anyone built their own chicken coop/hutch?

celestialsdoxiesOctober 3, 2006

Need something simple. Has anyone made a chicken coop with spare wood, aside from purchasing the chicken wire?

I have many 2 x 4's, 2 x 2's, etc., a hammer and can get the wire, but that is about it. Needs to be raccoon and night time predator safe.

I am looking to build one big enough for 2 hens.

Marie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_from_ny

Raccoon proof you'd be better off to find either one large dog kennel or two smaller ones and put a lock on them at night. The type I'm thinking of are use for travel...are mostly plastic, have wire doors and windows. You can lock them. They are easy to clean and you can move the birds inside to a garage when the temps take a dive.

Bookmark   October 4, 2006 at 4:59PM
annielu

There's a website- www.backyardchickens.com that has some very good ideas and lots of info. I have 9 chickens myself, and my son built my coop. Go on that site, there are coop ideas and some people can tell you how to make one with what you have.

Bookmark   October 4, 2006 at 7:26PM
sunflrlvr
    Bookmark   October 9, 2006 at 12:31AM
mariend

We built a double chicken pen that was completly inclosed. Used redwood dug done about 2 feet, nailed chicken wire to the base, and burried it so cayotes, lynx, etc could not dig in, also made about a 6 inch barrier around the edges etc. top was heavy chicken wire. Didn't have many raccons in area.
But we did have sticky plants around edge and some animals did not like it.

Bookmark   October 13, 2006 at 8:15PM
mariend

Forgot, at night the chickens were in their house, windows covered with hardwire, again burried wire in ground deep around outside, and we could lock the door, like a doggie door from cage to house.

Bookmark   October 13, 2006 at 8:17PM
chrisha1

My wife and I built chicken hutches from recycled window frames and chicken wire. Elevate the coop on legs a foot or two and make bottom with wire so droppings fall through and predators can't get in. See pictures at our blog, http://www.echickencoopsandruns.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY chicken hutches

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 1:19PM
More Discussions
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
ideas for church window frames
I have a chance to get these at a very good price but...
vic447
Glass etc. home decor
For several years I've been making garden art from...
laurastheme
metal frame swing redo
I have a metal frame swing that had canvas seat and...
lori022
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™