RECIPE: weight loss

CSHDecember 24, 2000

I have just recently converted over to a near vegan diet, I am amazed that I feel full most of the time. I don't seem to have the mid morning and afternoon hunger shakes. I also seem to eat a lot less. Sweets don't even have their typical appeal. Do most people loose weight on this type of diet?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gardener15

Wow,well personally I have found just the opposite in some of my 'convert' friends.They're feeling hungry a dozen times a day because the vegetarian and vegan stuff is so easy to digest.I myself don't know since I've been (lacto)vegetarian since birth.
In general,yes,a vegan diet is lower in fat and if you keep up regular activity level,you'll lose weight.BTW,tofu is good but is also high in fat so it can be bad in excess.

Bookmark   December 25, 2000 at 2:43PM
Nicole

When I became a Pescatarian (vegetarian + fish), I lost quite a bit of weight. We have recently moved to England and I began eating alittle bit of red meat. Well, I immediately gained about 13 pounds, within 3 months. I hate watching my weight, so if all I have to do is cut the meat back out, I'm good to go!

Bookmark   January 3, 2001 at 5:21PM
chris

I think that depending on the individual's diet, and what they ate before becoming vegan, people may tend to lose weight. Unfortunately, it is still easy to eat a high-fat vegetarian or vegan diet if you are not careful and avoid treat foods and fried foods. I think that the "full" feeling is usually due to the higher fibre content in vegetables and whole grain foods. This also helps to keep people from overeating as you feel full faster and it takes longer to eat (more chewing). I also think that once a person develops healthy eating habits, junk foods lose their appeal, and can even cause stomach upset.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetarian-Tips

Bookmark   January 4, 2001 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Durum Atta Flour (Indian Whole Wheat)
Does anyone use durum atta flour, which is Indian whole...
talkingflower
LOOKING for: Raisin Bread
Anyone have a T&T recipe for raisin bread that...
pink_warm_mama_1
RECIPE: Looking for vegan breakfast ideas
I don't get hungry till I have been at work for an...
nancyjane_gardener
Broom corn-bulk for consumption?
Does anyone know where I could buy broom corn seeds...
iowariver
LOOKING for: what to use for vegan cooking to replace milk or cr
I am moving away from recipes with dairy and would...
shermp
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™