If I decoupage a chair can it be used to sit in?

mom2twoOctober 14, 2006

I am working on an old school chair. My daughter's kindergarten class will auction this off to raise funds at the PTL auction.

One idea was to put the children's photos on the chair (decoupage) and offering a certificate of authenticity with a diagram noting who's who. My question is if this is the way we choose to go, is the chair still functional? And would I use just standard decoupage medium or do I need to use shellac? The chair will be painted and have some type of design to it where the pictures will be part of the design (i.e. Mrs. Richard's Garden with the kids photos as faces on the flowers.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lydia1959

I decoupodged barstools with photocopies of old family pictures and then varnished with several coats of waterbased varnish. They are still being sat on and used 10 years later!

Yours is an excellent idea! Good luck!

Bookmark   October 14, 2006 at 5:56PM
Frances_AR

Yep, Lydia's right, just varnish them or polyurethane with several coats and you'll be OK. Also, don't forget to check the legalities of using the children's photos. You may need to get signed releases from the parents since you'll be selling it. (I'm not sure about this, so please check with the school board.)

Bookmark   October 14, 2006 at 6:07PM
mom2two

Thank you, Thank you!
Now all I have to do is get it DONE!

Bookmark   October 14, 2006 at 10:06PM
gw:craftylady-2006

What a fantastic idea of using the children's school photos. Any parent of a child in that class would be proud to own that. I would even think a teacher might purchase it and donate it to the school to be put in a display case.

Bookmark   October 15, 2006 at 12:57AM
mom2two

I can't take credit for the idea Craftlady, my dad came up with it. Every class at the school does a project, and as you would guess the parents of that class are usually the only bidders. A chair painted by this teacher's class two years ago went for $500 plus. (It used the kids' thumbprints in a heart and said "Thumbody loves Me") Needless to say I have some big expectations to live up to!

Bookmark   October 15, 2006 at 5:34PM
mojojojogrlnj

omg what an awesome idea...so I hope you dont mind if i borrow it....my daughters father passed away this summer...(he was only 49)... I have tons of photos of him and him/ her together...plus i have an old chair to boot...this would be perfect for her to have plus she can share it with her children and they would get to see there wonderful grandfather everyday!!!...

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 9:16AM
More Discussions
wedding dress?
ok, i have a wedding dress. it's quite huge, as most...
beckerster
Need advice on what to do with this desk!
I got this beast of a beauty at a thrift store for...
todds_sweetpea
New uses for old stuff
I've read many good posts on what to do with clothes...
jtribe1234
Definitely not trash, but a real treasure. Exceptional find!
A quick look-see stop in Habitat for Humanity's 'Restore'...
adaorand
Looking for aussies! (I've got glass to get rid of!)
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Collection Cushions Henna Sunbrella Outdoor Chaise Lounge
Home Depot
Picnic Lounge by Fatboy
$249.00 | Lumens
Amy Dining Set
$4,399.00 | Horchow
AICO Furniture - Lavelle Melange 11 Piece Dining Room Set -...
Great Furniture Deal
Montez Rounded Modern Dining Chair - Black
Zuri Furniture
Thayer Coggin | Design Classic Pit Sectional Corner Element
YLiving.com
Emerald Home Loda Ottoman - U3406-03-03
$208.92 | Hayneedle
Christopher Knight Home Kingdom Leather Accent Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™