So, how bad did I screw this up?

KeanaMay 10, 2011

Last year I made my very first mosaic. I did a large clay pot. After I finished it, I found out I was supposed to have "sealed" it first. Now I'm afraid to use it outside and plant anything in it. I used clear outdoor caulk to attached the tile and then I used sanded grout. Is there anything I can do to make it usable? It looks kind of silly sitting on the garage bench.....lol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvamae

What I would do: Seal the grout (if you haven't already) with a sealer that says it's for outdoor use. Seal the inside of the clay pot. Then find a plastic pot that fits inside your mosaic pot and place your plant inside that liner pot. Then leave outside and see what happens! What has happened to my mosaic pots is that over time, the plant water leaches out through the grout and discolors it.

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 2:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
concretenprimroses

Someone on garden junk (Jan in Ca I think) seals her pots with spray car undercoating. Maybe if you let the pot dry out really well you could try that on the inside. Has to be very dry or the moisture could be trapped inside espceilally if you have already sealed the outside. Good luck.
Kathy

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 7:41AM
More Discussions
Help! Newbie Ballchain
Hi everyone new here! I want to incorporate ball chain...
KathyC55
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
Need grout colour suggestion.
I have been working on this project through the holidays...
tiffy_z5_6_can
acrylic sheet
Hello all I have dabbled in other media like oil and...
bicem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™