Mosaic fireplace?

centralcacyclistOctober 16, 2006

I have a homely painted (latex semigloss) brick fireplace that I would like to mosaic over. What is the best way to prepare the brick surface to smooth it for the application of a mosaic design?

You all seem to have such great skills!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lydia1959

You might want to ask over at the Stained Glass & Mosaics forum.

I've never done mosaics, but seeing their projects sure makes me want to give it a try!

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 5:01PM
gw:craftylady-2006

You also might put a post in the Garden Junk Forum, there are several folks who do beautiful mosaics on that forum. If you haven't seen it yet, please check out "Slowmedown's" mosaic tower which she just posted a day or two ago.

Sal

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 6:11PM
centralcacyclist

All these forums! So little time!

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 11:18PM
haziemoon

I would say mortor over the brick. You may also need to use paint remover to get the mortor to stick to the brick. Not an expert, but that's what I'd do.

Hubby said that would be too much work...he'd reface the whole thing in concrete board... Would cost about as much as paint remover and mortor, and could be done in a 1/3 of the time.

Haziemoon

Bookmark   October 17, 2006 at 12:34AM
haziemoon

Sooooooooo.What did you decide to do?
Gotta see pics!

Haziemoon

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 2:52AM
texaswild

Thought I'd check out this side of the forum - like I NEED to get into more time on the computer!!! Here's a pic of my studio wall, which is a converted carport so it was an outside wall - I didn't do anything but just started slapping mortar on it and it sticks just fine. Every time I have left-over grout I apply it to the left side. When I have left-over mortar, I fill the cracks on the right side, even though I didn't do that on the left side. A lot more has been done since I took this photo. I get bored w/large projects, so this is gonna be a WIP for awhile. As soon as I decide on a design, I'm going to mosaic my fireplace. It has the same bricks. Hope this helps. I also have a WIP on the wall in my back yard. Want to make a nich w/shelf for a vase. I use left-over mortar to adhere the pieces to that also. There's a picture of that in this album, in case you care to check it out.
Brick wall mosaic

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 8:01AM
morninglori

Hi, I did mosaic the brick around my fireplace and I love it. I cut 3 pieces of cement board so that way I was able to mosaic in my work area, then screwed it onto the brick, covered the screw holes with a piece of china and did a little touch-up grouting over the screw holes and the 2 seams.

Bookmark   November 11, 2006 at 10:03PM
haziemoon

Show us the pics!!!
Gotta see them!

Haziemoon

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 4:27AM
texaswild

Anxiously awaiting pictures - HURRY!

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 9:19AM
morninglori

I'm trying...I got in onto the recent photo page but how do I link it here? My computer skills still need some polishing!!

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 7:20PM
morninglori

Okay... I think I got it now...It really does help when one reads directions!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 7:59PM
texaswild

OHMYGOODNESS! That is take-my-breath-away beautiful. I absolutely LOVE that. What a neat, clean look. The center motif looks 3-D???, and are the circles made from cutting plates or tiles? Soooo wonderful - colors are stunning. Such a good job!

Bookmark   November 13, 2006 at 8:34AM
morninglori

Thank-you very much!! The center plate still has that bottom rim so it does not lay flat. The circles are plate rims...its all about curves baby!! The roses are salt and pepper shakers to cover the damper spindle.

Bookmark   November 13, 2006 at 8:45PM
bill_vincent

Unless you're going to do something like the way morningglori did her project, the first thing you need to do is strip the paint off the brick. I've never been a big one for screwing backerboard up to brick, epsecially over a fireplace because of the heat extremes. It's just one more surface to allow problems to occur. My preference is to sand the paint off the brick (do NOT use chemical or organic paint removers-- they'll leave a residue behind that will inhibit the thinset bond afterward), and then take a flat trowel, and float a flat surface of thisnet over the brick. This does a couple of things for you. First, it fills in the joints between the bricks, and give you a flat surface to work off of. Secondly, it'll show up any errant bricks that might be sticking out too far, so they can be attended to BEFORE you get to them while tiling. Once the flat coat dries, you'll mostlikely have to take a rubbing stone and rub down any trowel marks, but then you'll be ready to tile. it's alot more work than just tiling on a piece of backerboard and then putting the backerboard up, but it'll last alot longer, in my opinion.

Bookmark   November 15, 2006 at 5:50PM
nicethyme

absolutely stunning!

and IMHO there is no reason to believe cement board would ever be a problem for this application.

Bookmark   November 15, 2006 at 6:52PM
haziemoon

Oh how beautiful!!
I love the pattern...what a beautiful job! Love it!!!
Makes me want a fireplace even more!

Haziemoon

Bookmark   November 16, 2006 at 10:23AM
lilpeaches

THAT IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!! You should be extremely proud of your hard work!

Bookmark   November 18, 2006 at 1:21PM
morninglori

Thanks for the nice comments, I have a gas insert in my fireplace and one of the reasons I did my mosaic on cement backerboard is in case I ever need to replace the surround I can take down the mosaic.....also it was easier to do in my work area where all my stuff is and I can make as big of a mess as I want to!!!

Bookmark   November 18, 2006 at 10:15PM
soovhappy

Morninglori, BEAUTIUL! That turned out absolutely gorgeous. I've often thought of doing mine and seeing yours now, makes me rethink giving my DD the rest my tiles for her backsplash. :-)

So very cool!
Soov

Bookmark   November 19, 2006 at 12:41PM
More Discussions
Idea for Empty Prescription Bottles?
So I keep looking at my empty prescription bottles,...
thrift_shop_romantic
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
honugirlhawaii
Glass etc. home decor
For several years I've been making garden art from...
laurastheme
making glass bird bath
found a heavy glass serving bowl. I want to attach...
lily603
ideas for church window frames
I have a chance to get these at a very good price but...
vic447
Sponsored Products
Chrome Boom Arc Floor Lamp with Linen Shade
Lamps Plus
Real Flame Chateau Dark Walnut Gel Indoor Corner Fireplace
Overstock.com
Dimplex OptiMyst II Thompson Electric Fireplace - GDS29-1262BW
Hayneedle
Ambella Home Collection - Fenton Fireplace Surround - 20040-420-072
Great Furniture Deal
Incendio Tabletop Fireplace
Overstock.com