What to do with Plexiglass table top?

lydia1959October 21, 2004

I posted this over on the Home Decorating forum also, but I know you guys are really creative when it comes to this type of thing.

I just bought ($3.00 at a yard sale) a coffee table that has an odd-shaped plexiglass top. It just sits on top of a vinyl covered frame which also has 3 ottomans on rollers that slide out from under it. The plexiglass is pretty scratched up. I plan on using this in my DD's new beach themed room in her sitting area.

My initial idea was to decoupodge the underside of the top with cut-out palm trees, then cover the whole back with blue and green paint. I'm open to other suggestions though.

Can anything be done about the scratches? Can they be buffed out or should I just distress it more to give it a "dreamy" effect? Any paints that would make a water-like effect? Any ideas will be appreciated. Keep in mind that sweaty water glasses and who knows what will most likely be left on it, so it needs to hold up well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bloominweeds

What about getting it sandblasted for a frosted look.

Bookmark   October 21, 2004 at 5:08PM
lydia1959

An update on this. Sandblasting would have been too expensive, but I did like the frosted idea. I found the permanent Frosting Spray in the link below and I think the tabletop turned out great ~ looks like a new top! If you need paints, this place has the speediest service! I ordered it on a Tuesday and it was delivered the next day UPS!

Here is a link that might be useful: Frosting Spray

Bookmark   November 1, 2004 at 11:51AM
des_arc_ya_ya

Oooh, thanks, Lydia! Glad that your project turned out so well. I bookmarked the link so that I can order some if and when Twinkie ever gets my old door cut off to fit in our bathroom.

Bookmark   November 1, 2004 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
New uses for old stuff
I've read many good posts on what to do with clothes...
jtribe1234
Free Porch Swing I got off CL.....it's like new!
I got a FREE swing off CL. People throw them away when...
nicole__
Old Bookcase Gets A New Coat Of Paint
This old bookcase was on its way to the trash when...
AmateurDecor101
upholstered head board
I wish I had the two "before" pictures. This...
arcy_gw
Idea for Empty Prescription Bottles?
So I keep looking at my empty prescription bottles,...
thrift_shop_romantic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™