Question about dremel tools

wishdishMay 15, 2009

My sister told me that a gift I gave her, a frame, got bumped and was falling off a shelf and the person who caught it cut his hand. So now I'm thinking I need to be taking off any points on my work. I mainly use plates and dishes, so I have some bumpy surfaces. I do like the look, but of course don't want my work to draw blood! I've read that many use the dremel tools for this purpose. I'm just wondering - how else might I use the dremel tool in mosaic work? Can it be used for cutting things like cups in half and such? I'm trying to justify getting one!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nanatricia

I use mine a lot ! I do cut cups, ceramic flowers off of figr.I have a place you can buy bits an diemend saws and bits on line.It realy comes in handy .I also drill holes I love mine I have 3 by my work erea.That said you can also use a fingernail file the very ruuf one will work .I have used it on glass also.

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 11:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

You can also use a tumbler. It makes the edges nice, but I'm always in too big a rush to use mine. I have a small one for glass, but never use it anymore. A large tumbler for dish shards w/be nice. I've read you can use an ice cream freezer - tilted on it's side for tumbling. I think FLAG uses her concrete mixer for large amounts of shards.

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 8:38AM
More Discussions
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
"Footprints in the Sand" Mosaic
Artwork of footprints in sand usually accompanies the...
segrieb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™