Styrofoam Balls

jaydee_growerMay 21, 2009

This is a great site, enjoy reading the questions and comments. My question is could a styrofoam ball be covered with cement and then be mosaiced? (Using the same method as was described using a dodge ball) I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sereneseen

Definitely and you don't have to use the scrim because the styrofoam ball will not be removed.....unless you are using a pretty big ball. Just smear the cement mixture on the ball. Hope this helps. If you can, please take pics of the process and let us know how it's going.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 4:40PM
jaydee_grower

Thank you serenseen, I appreciate your response. Just one other question, would I be able to leave these outdoors? I've just started doing mosaics. Right now I'm working on a little table.I would try and take some pics when I start working on the balls. Thanks again.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 5:10PM
wackyweeder

If you use the right adhesive, I dont see why not. also there is a product called rigid wrap you could use to cover the balls instead of cement...Im not real sure about the outside part though with that.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 9:46PM
nanatricia

I have done this and what I did is I used the dry wall tape with the holes in it .It is like a meash .Then use thinset on the ball and layerd the tape and ts .I did one good layer then put a thin coat over it all .The put my tess on with ts.Been out side for a while do good.I hope you understand this.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 11:09PM
jaydee_grower

I sure appreciate your answers and nanatricia I understood your explanation. Thank you.

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
glass pattern for a cabinet door
Does anyone have a good website or pattern book for...
maryb116
mosaicing within old picture frame
Someone somewhere posted details on how to do this...
povertylodge
What sort of grout for a birdbath?
I've mosaiced lots of stuff that lives outside but...
1wanderer
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™