Ideas for deck railing?

theismaOctober 7, 2009

My sister now has "deck envy" since my husband and I completed our deck. We used dump rake teeth (from old horse drawn farm implements) for our deck railing. So now she would like to come up with something equally clever/unique for her own soon-to-be deck. The floor will be a composite; the siding is vinyl. She wants something low/no maintenance. She would really like metal, which could be powercoated. Oh, and she needs LOTS of railing - probably 60+ feet. Any ideas?

I'm sorry, I would add a photo of our railing, but need directions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
concretenprimroses

Yikes, 60 feet! I was thinking bed head and footboards. but she would a lot of them.
Let us know what she finally decides on.
kathy

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 8:37PM
millymoo

I have an idea!

For our deck we recycled our old metal stair railings-you know the kind on many pre and post-war houses. It sort of looks like wrought-iron but of course it's not-and it often has curly designs in it-often painted white, dark green or black. We had this left over when we removed the old stairs and entranceway to our house.

We used two 4ft panels of it and then went to Habitat for Humanity Restore to get more-they had quite a bit for cheap. Our railing consisted of the black metal pieces anchored in wood on on all sides with a wooden top board. My husband took apart some of the straight railing pieces and placed these in to finish the design.

It really looks great and our neighbors have remarked on how nice it looks. It hardly cost us anything except for the wood and I really like it's delicate look combined with the strong lines created with the wood. The open metalwork is also prefect for letting vines climb up. I have 2 clematis growing through it.

I'll try to post a pic of it.

Getting 60 feet of it would indeed be difficult as designs vary and you'd probably want some uniformity to the look.

Bookmark   October 26, 2009 at 8:56AM
concretenprimroses

Somewhere I saw a pic of old bicycles used for a fence. They were painted different colors and had window boxes hanging off them. It was somewhere on GW. If I find again I'll link.
kathy

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 11:51AM
lydia1959

Great ideas here so far!

I'd love to see a picture of your railing theisma. If you go to the text right above where the messages start on this page.
On-Topic Discussions [Switch to: Gallery] Choose Gallery. There you can upload a picture off your computer the easiest way. Just come back to this post and let us know it is there!

Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 3:38PM
OklaMoni

Me and Kay on a bike fence... but think it should be useable as a railing as well.

Bookmark   November 14, 2009 at 9:56AM
More Discussions
Need Material Ideas
My old house has non standard floor vents. The metal...
beth0301
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
honugirlhawaii
What would you do with a boatload of Orangina bottles?
My niece is quite fond of Orangina, and knowing how...
alison
Need advice on what to do with this desk!
I got this beast of a beauty at a thrift store for...
todds_sweetpea
ideas for church window frames
I have a chance to get these at a very good price but...
vic447
Sponsored Products
Demeter Chrome 8-light Chandelier
Overstock.com
Brushed Nickel Whitehaus 3-4444 Deck Mount Lever Modern Bathroom Faucet
$319.00 | Blue Bath
4' White Cedar Unstained Double Rail Bridge
Fifthroom.com
Vetraio Bath Bar by Uttermost
$162.80 | Lumens
Area Rug: Great Outdoors Natural 1' 8" x 2' 9"
$39.99 | Home Depot