oil base stain and polyurethane

painteddragonOctober 16, 2006

I was going to throw out my old 70's style maple kitchen set but desided to try and update it instead. I painted the chair spindles and table base a hunter green now I want to stain the seat and table top darker and poly it. I have a can of oil base gel stain and a can of poly can the 2 be used together or do I need to get a water base stain to use with the poly? thank you in advance, Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweets98

They Poly should tell you on it what it's safe for. I belive Poly can be used over whatever you want to use it on with no problems, though.

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 12:58PM
ogoopogo

Oil base stain NEEDS oil based Poly.. Otherwise it's like oil & water mix.. don't work.. Have fun!!

Bookmark   October 18, 2006 at 12:00PM
painteddragon

Boy oh boy did I get lucky!! I was in the dollar store today picking up a few things and desided to look in the paint to see if they had a water base stain. they didn't but they had one step in mahogany just the color I wanted! grabbed it quick and headed home. It went on so easy wasn't much harder then washing the table top would have been and I simply love it. It dosen't look like the same old set at all I wish I had a pic to post. I am so proud of myself I could just burst...lol,Linda

Bookmark   October 21, 2006 at 1:04AM
ogoopogo

Glad it all worked out in the end!! Congrats!!

Bookmark   October 24, 2006 at 12:50AM
sweets98

No you CAN put water- based poly over oil-based stain. The stain just has to be fully dry first (3-4 days). The problem you are thinking of is mixing oil-based and water-based PAINT.

The only thing is that oil-based poly does hold up longer than water based.

Painteddragon, are you talking about Minwax's Polyshades? I used that about two years ago on my dresser and what a difference! I totally stripped it first but I keep reading about how wonderful PolyShades is over other finishes. I may have to make a trip to Ace today. I have been DYING to refinish our kitchen table but I can't get it all outside to sand it down and strippers aren't working. Crossing my fingers!

Bookmark   October 24, 2006 at 8:10AM
painteddragon

Sweets, the one I used is made by olympic.I have used the minwax one before they seem to work about the same.I went right over the old finish. I know its not thr right way to do it, but it looks great!

Bookmark   October 25, 2006 at 9:09PM
More Discussions
making glass bird bath
found a heavy glass serving bowl. I want to attach...
lily603
Ceramics and Rustoleum spray paint?
Hi! I have a large/tall grey ceramic vase that I really...
party_music50
Hi you wonderful T2T'ers -mail post?
I would like to decorate my mail box post. It is a...
rhomy
Need Material Ideas
My old house has non standard floor vents. The metal...
beth0301
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
honugirlhawaii
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™