New project - glass sandwich - suggestions?

silvamaeMay 2, 2008

Hello, y'all! I went to a thrift shop yesterday and came away $60 lighter! Didn't mean to do that, but I got carried away. Anyway, they had two identical pieces of clear glass, about three feet long and two feet wide, that were used as shelves, I guess, they have those nice smooth rounded edges, and the glass is thick. Well, I have this idea of mosaicing GOG on one, then covering the whole she-bang with the other. But I haven't made any plans yet as to how to accomplish it. Silicone? Weldbond? EnviroTex? Glue the top piece down or just lay it down unattached? It will be for indoors and the base will be a wrought iron wine rack that sits on the floor. Is this a good idea or not? What should I do with the edges? This is gonna be a challenge and I'm excited about it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nicethyme

I don't know Silvamae but the whole prospect fascinates me. Someone here linked and artist that works in up to 7? layers I think... it was incredible. I'll try and find it.

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 4:11PM
nicethyme

AHA! went back many many pages and found it! have a look at this one

Here is a link that might be useful: Kathleen Dairymple

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 4:28PM
silvamae

Oh my, I am just speechless. I will have to go away and think about this. Wow, the possibilities. Thank you so much for the link. I will certainly post pictures when I get started.

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 4:54PM
pjtexgirl

Wow! Those are really beautiful. I'm glad you dug up this think! Thanks! PJ

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 7:32PM
nicethyme

Yes it sure starts the mind spinning on so many possibles. I like the idea of layering and the addition of depth. Tamar tried it with her floating frame piece in the GOG forum and I am curious about using paint in backgrounds and fore fronts too... The vine in my Harvest project is a sandwich of 2 layers with painted designs inside - it even made it more shard friendly that way by raising that glass level up

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 8:00PM
toomuchglass

I've wondered about using layers of glass before - but the thought of how heavy it will be - discouraged me. I wonder if she uses really thin glass . ( I've gotten some really thin clear glass from framed posters at the Goodwill ) Her pics are awesome ... beyond my talent - LOL - I just wish I knew her secret about the weight of her stuff & how to frame it. I'd love to try a 3-D pic .

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 5:13PM
More Discussions
Help! Newbie Ballchain
Hi everyone new here! I want to incorporate ball chain...
KathyC55
My last commission of 2014
A dear friend's sister commissioned me to make this...
silvamae
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
Need grout colour suggestion.
I have been working on this project through the holidays...
tiffy_z5_6_can
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™