Ok now what do I do with all this broken safety glass?

concretenprimrosesMay 14, 2010

An interior window shattered in the lobby of the building I manage. It is smokey colored safety glass. I noticed how beautiful it looked all broken, and then I remembered: I mosaic now!

So its in two buckets in my garage. Do I need to start doing gog or can I mix it with broken dishes on concrete?

I will search this forum too, but I'm so excited I just wanted to tell you all and get advice.

Its so nice that bummers like broken windows are now good things. Dd stepped on one of my hard to find nowadays every day dishes yesterday, and I wasn't bummed cuz it went straight to the mosaic bucket.

Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Calamity_J

I know you are into concrete too and saw a tufa project that was a geode type thing with that shattered glass...was really cool looking, was on the tufa forum! I am not one to comment on a tg mosaic as I did a very small one and found it to be a pain...but maybe there is a way to use big chunks.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 2:31PM
texaswild

Oh, you lucky duckie. My suggestion is to mix it up w/dish shards. Anxious to see your first project w/it.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 7:44AM
wuli

I do a lot of mosaic using stained glass and mirror. While I have never attempted using safety glass, I don't see where there would be any real concern, other than following all safety rules. after all, even safety glass has sharp edges!

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 4:21PM
shrillmtb

Lucky you! I second the hypertufa geode idea...only because it's something I want to try too! Other than that, there are so many cool things you could do with it - I've seen it used over fabric, painted surfaces, tissue paper, even candy wrappers! I haven't used it yet myself, but I definitely want to.
Check out the flickr group for inspiration

Here is a link that might be useful: TG group flickr

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 5:11PM
moosaics_cher

I want some....! I back painted a bunch for a birdbath - gave it a great 3-D look because its so thick! I loved using it - wish I had more!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 11:08PM
Calamity_J

Great link Shrill!! Love that bird bath Cher!!!

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 8:54AM
nanatricia

love that bird bath!!!

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 10:57PM
concretenprimroses

Wow! The birdbath is amazing!
I haven't done a thing yet, have lots of boring stuff to do related to trees being cut down.
Soon I hope! thanks for ideas
Kathy

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 11:32PM
More Discussions
Hello!
Hi everyone! I haven't been here in a really long time....
eggshelllady
I have been making some mirrors...
I am enjoying looking at all of your mosaics and I...
angs_pool
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
What sort of grout for a birdbath?
I've mosaiced lots of stuff that lives outside but...
1wanderer
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™