reupholster my bed or get a new one?

ID2014August 26, 2012

We have a very pretty 5 year old fully upholstered bed done in a pale linen. It had held up very well, even with my dogs, except for the side boards- the fabric has some "rings" where it has gotten wet. One or two of these are from wet dogs rubbing against it but some are simply from a glass of water spilling. Recently one of my dogs climbed on the edge and tore the fabric, so now I have to do something. Is there a fabric durable enough to consider recovering? What about leather (real or faux?) Or should I just cut my losses and get a new metal or wood bed? I don't want to have to recover every few years.

My style is simple and modern so many of the fabrics that may hide dirt better don't appeal to me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maire_cate

Have you looked at Crypton? It's very stain resistant. My SIL is a facilities manager at a nursing home and they recovered all of the chairs in the dining room and lounge in Crypton. It isn't cheap but it is durable and comes in a fairly wide selection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crypton

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 9:03AM
EngineerChic

I'd be temped to look at an indoor/outdoor fabric, like from Sunbrella, and reupholster in that.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 9:45AM
bronwynsmom

There are a number of acrylic fabrics out that wear like iron without feeling like it. We slipcovered my mother's small sofa in a creamy white one with some texture - it's a very soft, pretty ottoman weave, looks like a linen and cotton blend, and she can spill coffee, red wine, or anything on it, and it beads up and wipes away clean.

Great for someone for whom age has produced arthritic fingers and an occasional tremor or two.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 11:58AM
ID2014

Has anyone used a faux leather (vinyl?) in their home that looks good? I found a faux shagreen that seems like it could be interesting.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 1:33PM
More Discussions
where to buy a high quality leather recliner
We need to replace our queen ann, high leg recliner....
bobcatralph Owens
Would love your input on refreshing this exterior!
Hi all, I have some ideas, but I'm not in love with...
Kristin Jennings
When do bronze window frames work well in the interior of a home?
I'm replacing single plane aluminum windows. My interior...
texasgal47
Help coordinating an antique chandelier ?
\\Hello all! I'm working on lighting now...:) I have...
eesmerelda
House of Cards - Table Lamps
Not wanting to hijack Ann's thread (Perception), I'm...
maddielee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™