grouting over existing sealed grout

ohtobedoneMay 31, 2009

I have a friend who finished a patio table top as her first mosaic project. She has sealed the grout and after seeing it she has wiped a little too much grout away. Can she regrout it after sealing it or maybe apply a coat of resin to it. Please give us some of your expert advise to what to do now. Thanks for any help! Sally

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wackyweeder

I dont know if new grout would stick to sealed grout. it might, but it might not. usually whene something is grouted over again you take a sharp tool and dig some grout out from the spaces to give it room and something to latch onto. The resin would probly work fine, but I would do a little test board-slap some tiles and grout on it, seal it and then resin it just to make sure the sealant didnt cause some reaction with the resin and cloud it or something.

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 1:44AM
texaswild

If I'm not mistaken, I think Home Depot carries a sealer remover. Check w/them and Lowes, as well as doing what WACKY suggests. There's also a tool for digging out grout.

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 8:27AM
gaijingirl

Technically, you are not supposed to grout over existing grout. I did a lot of research on this at one time....(you can probably learn a lot about it if you visit some tiling sites/forums).
However, they say that if the grout is new enough, you can possibly have some success with grouting over top. But, I believe from what I've read, this is if it is not sealed. I think, from what I understand, the sealer may prevent the new grout from bonding to the old.
You are supposed to remove at least 3/4 of it first.
It's a pain, I know. I had to re-grout someone elses mistake on a backslash last year and it was not a fun time!

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 4:25AM
kraftkrazy

make sure if she uses resin she uses one that is okay for exterior use...i learned the hard way that the envirotex lite they sell at michaels is not for sunlight...my fault for not reading first

Bookmark   June 7, 2009 at 8:34PM
More Discussions
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
mosaicing within old picture frame
Someone somewhere posted details on how to do this...
povertylodge
Gold Kinky Boots
Now I'm blinging out the master bath. My poor hubby...
brokenbitmosaics
Cutting Beach Pebbles
I have a good supply of various colored beach pebbles...
african
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
Sponsored Products
Belham Living San Miguel Cast Aluminum Deep Seat Swivel Rocker- Set of 2 Multico
Hayneedle
Belham Living San Miguel Cast Aluminum Dining Arm Chair- Set of 4 - 22-99144
$909.99 | Hayneedle
Complete Bathroom Cleaning Kit
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Uttermost Berzano Mosaic Table Lamp
Beyond Stores
Arcadia Tooth Brush Holder
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
Tile & Grout Brush
$5.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for: