how to refinish a laminated dresser

carofl93October 18, 2004

Hubby and I went out curb shopping last night and found a fantastic Bassett dresser from the 60's-70's. It's about 5 feet long with a rectangular top and beautifully arced drawers. Its some sort of yellowing white wood looking laminate but has great lines and will be perfect for our new baby's room as it is the perfect height to use as a changing table. How would I go about refinishing this? Would I sand the laminate off or just rough it up? We're not finding out the sex of the baby, so I don't want to make it gender specific. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lillie1441

I refinished a laminate dresser several years ago and it still looks great.The first thing you need to do is get a bonding primer and paint the whole thing.Then paint with acrylic enamel in whatever color you choose.Use a small sponge roller for the larger surfaces.If it has grooves or whatever you can paint those areas with a brush first then the roller and smooth out again with the brush.The roller will leave a nice smooth finish without leaving brush marks and painting will go a lot faster.You can finish with an acrylic sealer but it isn't necessary.After the baby comes you can add some stencils or something if you like.I did a faux marble finish on the top of mine with a sponge and several coats of acrylic sealer over that.I did it about 10 years ago and it has had lots of wear and still looks great.
Good luck and congratulations on the new baby!......Lillie

Bookmark   October 18, 2004 at 12:16PM
october17

I recently repainted a couple of old nightstands. They were from my parents' bedroom set - probably over 45 yrs old (don't make'em like that anymore.) The tops were laminate. I just sanded them to rough them up. I used a metallic latex paint (light blue). They came out really cute. Used BF's paint sprayer. Wish I could post a pic. I do have a pic, just can't figure out how to post!

Bookmark   November 24, 2004 at 10:43PM
lazy_gardens

caro -
Scrub it well with TSP (Spic and Span, or the liquid stuff by Jasco) to get rid of the decades of polish and wax.

Then get a primer made for laminates (ask andy decent paint store or large hardware store) and prime it carefully.

From there, you just paint - a nice satin enamel would be good for kids.

Bookmark   November 25, 2004 at 8:59PM
BDnBAMA

I have also refinished a laminate night stand & dresser. I sanded it just to rough it up, put on a thick coat of Kilz which sticks to ANYTHING. Then used a semi gloss latex enamel (couple of coats)to paint then sealed with a water based polyurethane. That was 2 yrs ago & still looks great. Betty

Bookmark   November 26, 2004 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
upholstered head board
I wish I had the two "before" pictures. This...
arcy_gw
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
Making lamp shades
I bought an old lamp at a thrift store and can't find...
BJB-TX
From Henredon Dresser to Living Room Console
You only get lucky a few times in life and this time...
AmateurDecor101
Ceramics and Rustoleum spray paint?
Hi! I have a large/tall grey ceramic vase that I really...
party_music50
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™