LOOKING for: thanksgiving dinner for veg. future in-laws

lorikeet41September 29, 2001

DOES ANYBODY HAVE A GOOD RECIPE FOR A VEGETARIAN THANKSGIVING DINNER? MY SON TURNED VEGGIE AND WILL BE MARRYING A VEGETARIAN. SINCE I AM A CARNIVORE, I DON'T HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT TO DO FOR THANKSGIVING. ANYBODY HAVE SOME GREAT RECIPES?????

THANKS,

LORI

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
henriette_ostervold_dk

Hi Lori,
you could try out some of the recipe sites, e.g. 'Epicurious'...there you can search for meatless recipes, I am sure you will find some useful ones...
Good luck,
Henriette
http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/browse?this=cuisine&cuisine=MEATLESS

Bookmark   September 30, 2001 at 2:00PM
pea_

Find out what kind of vegetarians they are i.e. vegan, ovo-lacto, etc, and this will help you be able to plan your meal. But lots of traditional dishes would work fine either way, corn on the cob(leave off the butter and serve on side tho), baked potatoes(serve all toppings on side so they can prepare their own), salad(no egg, cheese, meats or bacon bits), a bean dish would be good(black bean and potatos with a bit of garlic is one of my favs)just make sure you don't cook it with any meats, broth, ham bones(shudder) or honey. Just read your labels before preparing any thing make sure the is no meat products, broth, animal fats etc. in the ingrediants. If they are vegan you'll have to look out for egg, dairy, and honey in addition. There are lots of sites on the web with simple but yummy recipies or go to your library and get a book with some. Maybe your son's intended can help you make a menu, it might be a good way to bond. peace, pea

Bookmark   October 1, 2001 at 12:03AM
megerina

We plan our thankgiving meal around both meat and veg people, and since ours is largely pot luck it lets peole bring in a family or personal favorite dish.

Dressing can be made with vegetable broth instead of chicken or turkey. A great one is stale sourdough and rye cubes, onions, mushrooms and apples (sautee the veggies in butter or olive oile depending on veg preference) and enough broth to moisten.

You can make a veggie gravy with concentrated veg stock, mushrooms, and thickeners.

The traditional squash, rutabega, and other veggies are easy as long as you know whether they are ovo lacto or vegan vegetarians.

As far as a main course? Check epicurious, or a vegetarian times site. I am willing to bet they will have a nice nut or tofu loaf that tastes great.

Bookmark   October 9, 2001 at 3:26PM
paulmyoung

Try a product called a Tofurky or another brand called the UnTurkey. They look and taste very similar to actual, dead, roasted, birds! :-)

Paul, Vegan and Happy!

Bookmark   November 12, 2001 at 11:07PM
for2cats_worldnet_att_net

I think that is wonderful that you are going to accomodate your vegetarian loved ones! My Mom does that for me. She and I don't see eye-to-eye on much -- everyone says it's because we are so much alike. Whatever. But it is the kindest, most loving thing she does when she finds a new vegan recipe and prepares it especially for me when I go to her house for dinner -- even though I may be the only one in attendance who is eating it!

Bookmark   November 13, 2001 at 10:37PM
teri2

Make an effort to locate some Loma Linda chicken style gravy mix. In my town it is available only at a natural foods store. I can't tell you how many times guests at my table have eaten this and thought it was really turkey gravy. Mashed potatoes with Loma Linda gravy are a true comfort food and perfect for Thanksgiving dinner.

Bookmark   November 20, 2001 at 3:37PM
dances_in_garden

I have made dinners for mixed crowds, and find the following works well for me, but we have no vegans and they all allow dairy (except for eggs).

Use veggie stock instead of meat stock in all recipes.
Put the butter on the table, not in the dish. Or use olive oil if you must.
Go ahead and roast a turkey. Make your turkey gravy. Just mark which gravy is which LOL. Stuff the turkey, but also make a batch of "dressing" with veggie stock and bake it alongside the turkey. Mark which is which.

Add a few extra veggie dishes and a green salad, whole grain bread or rolls, and maybe a grain and a bean dish (again using veggie stock and no meat or eggs).

If they take offense to having meat on the same table, then it might be best to have these holidays apart.

Bookmark   November 23, 2001 at 10:46AM
Marie_TX

My college age children often bring friends home for holidays, and more often than not, they are vegetarians. I don't put any meat, milk products, or dairy products on the table. I have a fix-your-own-plate buffet in the kitchen and the meat dishes are obvious. I think it's rude to put a big roasted bird in the face of a vegetarian, just as I think it is rude for the veg-avores to comment about dead, roasted animals to the carivores. We're gathering to be social, and thankful, and civil. -- Marie

Bookmark   November 19, 2002 at 9:04AM
More Discussions
RECIPE: Durum Atta Flour (Indian Whole Wheat)
Does anyone use durum atta flour, which is Indian whole...
talkingflower
LOOKING for: vegetarian recipie
I have invited some friends for dinner this sunday....
sumitasilwal
RECIPE: New to Juicing..
My DH and I just bought a juicer!. Today, we bought...
mommap
RECIPE: Are there any lovers of........
........nutritional yeast in the non-vegetarian group?...
pink_warm_mama_1
RECIPE: Vegetable juice
Who owns a juicer? What vegetable do you use in juicing...
starraffy
Sponsored Products
Miss Passion Baby Pink Wallpaper R1457, double roll
Walls Republic
George Kovacs Earring Collection 22 1/2" Wide Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting
Safavieh Porcello Waves Blue/ Multi Rug (4' x 5'7)
Overstock.com
Smithfield Standing Tissue Holder
Signature Hardware
s: Wisteria 19 in. 2 Light-style with Shade CH19828P-FL2
Home Depot
Palermo Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$429.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™